1st Air Defence Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish), RCA

The official lineage of the 1st Air Defence Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish), RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated in Brockville, Ontario on 5 October 1866, when the '42nd "Brockville Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '42nd "Lanark and Renfrew" Battalion of Infantry' on 1 December 1897;Footnote 2 '42nd Lanark and Renfrew Regiment' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 3 'The Lanark and Renfrew Regiment' on 12 March 1920;Footnote 4 'The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment' on 15 July 1927;Footnote 5 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 6 and 'The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment (Reserve)' on 15 September 1944.Footnote 7 On 1 April 1946 the regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated '59th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish), RCA'.Footnote 8 On 1 December 1959 the regiment was converted to infantry and redesignated 'The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment'.Footnote 9 On 10 November 1992 the regiment was converted to artillery and redesignated '1st Air Defence Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish), RCA'.Footnote 10

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Lanark and Renfrew Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (130th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (240th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Lanark and Renfrew Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 April 1922 and reorganized the same day (GO 101/22). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Perpetuations

'130th', and '240th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Pembroke, Ontario

Allocated Batteries

  • 89th Air Defence Artillery Battery, RCA
  • 109th Air Defence Artillery Battery, RCA

March

The Highland Laddie

Alliance

British Army

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Operational history

Fenian Raids

The 42nd "Brockville Battalion of Infantry" was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the St. Lawrence River frontier, was removed from active service on 2 June 1870.Footnote 12

The First World War

The 130th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '130th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 13 embarked for Britain on 27 September 1916.Footnote 14 Its personnel were absorbed by the '12th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 6 October 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 15 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.Footnote 16

The 240th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '240th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 17 embarked for Britain on 3 May 1917.Footnote 18 Its personnel were absorbed by the '7th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 4 June 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 19 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.Footnote 20

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were mobilized for active service to provide guards for vulnerable points under the designation 'The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment, CASF (Details)' on 1 September 1939.Footnote 21 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.Footnote 22 The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment, CASF' on 5 March 1942.Footnote 23 This unit served in Canada in a home defence role as part of Atlantic Command.Footnote 24 The battalion was disbanded on 15 October 1943.Footnote 25

The '1st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA, CASF' was organized in England on 1 February 1941.Footnote 26 It landed in Sicily on 8 November 1943 and in Italy on 8 January 1944 as part of the 12th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division. It was converted to infantry and redesignated 'The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment, CIC, CASF' on 13 July 1944.2Footnote 27 On 5 March 1945 the regiment moved to North-West Europe where on 15 March 1945 it was converted to artillery and redesignated '1st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment), RCA, CASF' and allocated to the 'No. 3 Canadian Base Reinforcement Group'.Footnote 28 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 29 June 1945.Footnote 29

PDF Version 24 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: