26th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA

The official lineage of the 26th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated in Brandon, Manitoba on 1 April 1908, when the '99th Regiment' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '99th Manitoba Rangers' on 1 May 1911;Footnote 2 and 'The Manitoba Rangers' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 3 On 15 December 1936, it was converted to artillery, amalgamated with the '59th Field Battery, RCA' (see below), and redesignated the '26th Field Brigade, RCA'.Footnote 4 It was redesignated: '26th (Reserve) Field Brigade' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '26th (Reserve) Field Regiment' on 1 April 1943;Footnote 6 '26th Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 7 '26th Field Artillery Regiment (Self-Propelled), RCA' on 12 April 1960;Footnote 8 and '26th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 1 November 1964.Footnote 9

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Manitoba Rangers on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (45th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (79th Battalion, CEF) and the 3rd Battalion (181st Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Manitoba Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 December 1922 and reorganized the same day (GO 33/23). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Manitoba Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 192/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 59th Field Battery, RCA originated in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba on 2 February 1920, when the '59th Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 13 It was redesignated: '59th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 14 and '59th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.Footnote 15 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Manitoba Rangers', as above.

Perpetuation

'45th', '79th', and '181st "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Brandon, Manitoba

Allocated Batteries

  • 13th Field Battery, RCA
  • 71th Field Battery, RCA

Operational History

The First World War

Details from the 99th Manitoba Rangers were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 16

The 45th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '45th Battalion, CEF',Footnote 17 embarked for Britain on 1 April 1916.Footnote 18 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until it was absorbed by the '11th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 7 July 1916.Footnote 19 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 20

The 79th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 July 1915 as the '79th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 21 embarked for Britain on 24 April 1916.Footnote 22 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until it was absorbed by the '17th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 12 July 1916.Footnote 23 The battalion was disbanded on 12 October 1917.Footnote 24

The 181st Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '181st "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 25 embarked for Britain on 18 April 1917.Footnote 26 Its personnel were absorbed by the '18th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 30 April 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 27 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 28

PDF version, 25 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: