27th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA
The official lineage of the 27th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Coaticook, Quebec on 1 April 1910, when the '26th Canadian Horse "Stanstead" Dragoons' were authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '26th Stanstead Dragoons' on 3 September 1912;Footnote 2 and 'The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles' on 15 March 1920.Footnote 3 On 15 December 1936 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '27th Field Brigade, RCA'.Footnote 4 It was redesignated: '27th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '27th (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 March 1943;Footnote 6 '27th Field Regiment, RCA' on 15 October 1943;Footnote 7 and '27th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960.Footnote 8 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 1 April 1970.Footnote 9
Upon redesignation as The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles on 15 March 1920 (see above and GO 185/20) it was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment (5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Regiment (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 230/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The Eastern Townships Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 203/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The perpetuation of the '5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion (Eastern Townships Regiment), CEF' was transferred to the '7th/11th Hussars' (now 'The Sherbrooke Hussars') on 15 December 1936 (GO 154/37).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: