50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA

The official lineage of the 50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 16 November 1866 and incorporates the following regiments, machine gun battalion and artillery batteries.

The 50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA originated in Peterborough, Ontario on 3 May 1867, when the '57th Peterborough Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '57th Battalion of Infantry "Peterborough Rangers"' on 16 January 1880;Footnote 2 '57th Regiment "Peterborough Rangers"' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 3 and 'The Peterborough Rangers' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 4 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' (see below) and the 'Headquarters' and 'C Company' of the '4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (see below) and redesignated 'The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (MG)'.Footnote 5 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)' on 5 March 1942;Footnote 6 and 'The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)' on 1 June 1945.Footnote 7 On 1 April 1946 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '50th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA'.Footnote 8 It was redesignated: '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA' on 22 August 1955;Footnote 9 and '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA' on 12 April 1960.Footnote 10 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '45th Medium Battery, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '50th Field Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA'.Footnote 11 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 1 April 1970.Footnote 12

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Peterborough Rangers on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (2nd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (93rd Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Battalion (247th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Peterborough Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 134/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Peterborough Rangers were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 3rd Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 30 April 1875, when the '3rd Provisional Regiment of Cavalry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 13 It was redesignated: '3rd Provisional Regiment of Cavalry, The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 14 October 1881;Footnote 14 '3rd Regiment of Cavalry, The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 25 November 1892;Footnote 15 and '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' on 1 January 1893.Footnote 16 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the 'The Peterborough Rangers' and the 'Headquarters' and 'C Company' of the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC, as above.

Notes:

The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 January 1922 and reorganized the same day (GO 187/22). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC originated in Kingston, Ontario on 1 June 1919, when the '4th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 17 It was redesignated the '4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.Footnote 18 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '3rd The Prince of Wales' Canadian Dragoons' and 'The Peterborough Rangers', as above.

Notes:

The 4th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1919 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 4th Machine Gun Battalion was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 201/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) (MG) (GO 76/37).

The 45th Medium Battery, RCA originated in Cornwall, Ontario on 2 February 1920, when the '45th Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 19 It was redesignated: '45th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 20 and '45th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.Footnote 21 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA'.Footnote 22 It was redesignated: '45th (Reserve) Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 23 '45th/56th (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 20 May 1942;Footnote 24 '45th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 25 and '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 26 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA' (see below) and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA'.Footnote 27 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment (The Prince of Wales Rangers), RCA', as above.

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment originated in Bowmanville, Ontario on 16 November 1866, when the '45th "West Durham" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 28 It was redesignated:'45th "Victoria" Battalion of Infantry' on 1 January 1898;Footnote 29 '45th Victoria Regiment' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 30 '45th Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' on 16 July 1917;Footnote 31 and 'The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 32 On 14 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '45th Field Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (109th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (252nd Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 231/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Victoria and Haliburton Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day. (GO 212/36) This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Field Regiment (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 9 May 1905, when the '10th Brigade of Field Artillery, CA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 33 It was redesignated: '4th Brigade, CFA' on 2 February 1920;Footnote 34 '4th Field Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 35 '4th Field Brigade, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 36 '4th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 37 '43rd (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 24 June 1942;Footnote 38 '4th Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 39 and '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 40 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA', as above.

Notes:

The 4th Brigade, CFA was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 186/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 4th Brigade, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 29/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the brigade.

The 56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Goderich, Ontario on 1 April 1912, when the '31st Battery, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 41 It was redesignated: '56th Battery, CFA' on 2 February 1920;Footnote 42 '56th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 43 and '56th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935.Footnote 44 On 15 December 1936 it was amalgamated with 'The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles)' (see below) and redesignated the '56th (Grenville) Field Battery, (Howitzer), RCA'.Footnote 45 It was redesignated: '56th (Grenville) Field Battery, RCA' on 1 December 1937;Footnote 46 '56th Reserve (Grenville) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 47 '56th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 48 and '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 49 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self- propelled), RCA', the '45th Field Battery (Self- propelled), RCA', as above, and the '4th Field Battery (Self-propelled, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA'.Footnote 50

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) originated in Prescott, Ontario on 12 April 1867, when the '56th "Prescott" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 51 It was redesignated: '56th "Grenville" Battalion of Infantry' on 9 August 1867;Footnote 52 '56th Grenville Battalion of Rifles' on 13 September 1871;Footnote 53 '56th Grenville Battalion "Lisgar Rifles"' on 29 September 1871;Footnote 54 '56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles"' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 55 and 'The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles)' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 56 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '56th Field Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:

The 56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles" was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1911 (GO 52/11) and reorganized on 8 June 1911 (GO 118/11). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon redesignation as The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Grenville Regiment (Lisgar Rifles) was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day. (GO 212/36) This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 4th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA originated in Peterborough, Ontario on 9 May 1905, when the '24th Field Battery, CA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 57 It was redesignated: '4th Battery, CFA' on 2 February 1920;Footnote 58 '4th Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 59 '4th Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 60 '4th (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 61 '4th (Reserve) Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 2H), RCA' on 1 September 1943;Footnote 62 '4th Field Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 63 and '4th Field Battery (Self- propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 64 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '4th Field Regiment (Self-propelled), RCA', the '45th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA' and the '56th Field Battery (Self-propelled), RCA', as above.

Notes:

The 4th Battery, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 231/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

Perpetuations

4th Brigade, CFA, CEF'; '2nd', '93rd', '109th', '247th', and '252nd "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'; '4th Battalion, CMGC, CEF'; '4th Battery, CFA, CEF'; and '45th Depot Battery, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters location

Peterborough, Ontario

Operational history

Fenian Raids

The 56th "Grenville" Battalion of Infantry was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the St. Lawrence Rivers frontier, was removed from active service on 3 June 1870.Footnote 65

The North West Rebellion

The 45th "West Durham" Battalion of Infantry mobilized one company for active service on 10 April 1885.Footnote 66 It served as part of the 'Midland Battalion' in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.Footnote 67 The company was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.Footnote 68

The 57th Battalion of Infantry "Peterborough Rangers mobilized one company for active service on 10 April 1885.Footnote 69 It served as part of the 'Midland Battalion' in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.Footnote 70 The company was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.Footnote 71

The First World War

Details from the 56th Grenville Regiment "Lisgar Rifles" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 72

The 4th Brigade, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '4th Field Artillery Brigade, CFA, CEF',Footnote 73 embarked for Britain on 20 May 1915.Footnote 74 It disembarked in France on 14 September 1915,Footnote 75 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 3rd Indian (Lahore) Divisional Artillery and the 2nd and 4th Canadian Divisional Artilleries in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 76 The brigade was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 77

The 2nd Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '2nd Battalion, CEF',Footnote 78 embarked for Britain on 26 September 1914.Footnote 79 It disembarked in France on 11 February 1915, where it fought as part of the 1st Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 80 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.Footnote 81

The 93rd Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '93rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 82 embarked for Britain on 15 July 1916.Footnote 83 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 6 October 1916, when its personnel were absorbed by the '39th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.Footnote 84 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.Footnote 85

The 109th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '109th "Overseas" Battalion', CEF,Footnote 86 embarked for Britain on 23 July 1916.Footnote 87 The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until its personnel were absorbed by the '20th', '21st', '38th' and '124th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF' between 5 October and 8 December 1916.Footnote 88 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.Footnote 89

The 247th Battalion was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '247th "Overseas" Infantry Battalion',CEF.Footnote 90 It was absorbed in Canada by the '235th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' on 1 April 1917.Footnote 91 The battalion was disbanded on 11 April 1918.Footnote 92

The 252nd Battalion, which was authorized on 1 May 1917 as the '252nd "Overseas" Infantry Battalion', CEF,Footnote 93 embarked for Britain on 2 June 1917.Footnote 94 It was absorbed by the '6th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 10 June 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 95 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.Footnote 96

The '4th Battalion, CMGC, CEF', which was organized in France, was authorized on 29 March 1918.Footnote 97 It provided machine gun support to the 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 98 The battalion was disbanded on 6 November 1920.Footnote 99

The 4th Battery, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '4th Field Battery, CFA, CEF',Footnote 100 embarked for Britain on 26 September 1914.Footnote 101 It disembarked in France on 11 February 1915,Footnote 102 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 1st Brigade, CFA, CEF in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 103 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 104

The 45th Battery, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '45th "Overseas" Depot Battery, CFA, CEF',Footnote 105 embarked for Britain on 5 February 1916.Footnote 106 It disembarked in France on 14 July 1916,Footnote 107 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 9th Brigade, CFA, CEF in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 108 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 109

The Second World War

The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) mobilized an active service unit designated the '1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment), CASF' on 5 March 1942.Footnote 110 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 16th Infantry Brigade, 8th Canadian Division on the Pacific Coast.Footnote 111 The battalion was disbanded on 10 January 1945.Footnote 112

The 4th Field Battery mobilized the '4th Anti-Tank Battery, RCA, CASF' on 24 May 1940.Footnote 113 It provided anti-tank support as part of the '3rd Anti- Tank Regiment, RCA, CASF' in North-West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 114 The overseas battery was disbanded on 14 November 1945.Footnote 115

The '2nd 4th Anti-Tank Battery, RCA, CAOF' was authorized to be formed on 1 June 1945.Footnote 116 It performed garrison duties as part of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, CAOF in Germany.Footnote 117 The battery was disbanded on 14 May 1946.Footnote 118

The 45th Field Battery mobilized the '45th Field Battery (H), RCA, CASF' on 1 September 1939.Footnote 119 On 1 June 1940 it was amalgamated with the '12th Field Battery, RCA, CASF' and redesignated the '12th/45th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.Footnote 120 On 1 January 1941 this amalgamation ceased and it was redesignated the '45th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.Footnote 121 It was redesignated the '45th Medium Battery, RCA, CASF' on 21 November 1943.Footnote 122 The battery provided medium artillery support as part of the '7th Medium Regiment, RCA, CASF' in North- West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 123 The overseas battery was disbanded on 25 September 1945.Footnote 124

PDF Version, 16 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: