Les fusiliers de Sherbrooke
The official lineage of Les fusiliers de Sherbrooke infantry regiment.
Gules on a grenade Or the Royal Crown proper all within an annulus Gules edged and inscribed LES FUSILIERS DE SHERBROOKE in letters Or and ensigned by a beaver couchant proper the whole surmounting a maple leaf above a scroll Or inscribed with the Motto.
The maple leaf and beaver represent service to Canada, and the crown, service to the Sovereign. The grenade alludes to the original role of fusiliers, who were soldiers specially equipped to escort artillery trains. Gold indicates the badge's origins as a metal cap badge. Scarlet is the traditional colour of the army. "LES FUSILIERS DE SHERBROOKE" is the regimental title and "DROIT AU BUT" is the motto of the regiment.
DROIT AU BUT (To the point)
The First World War
The Second World War
NORMANDY LANDING; Authie; CAEN; The Orne; BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; St. André-sur-Orne; FALAISE; Falaise Road; Clair Tizon; The Laison; Antwerp-Turnhout Canal; THE SCHELDT; The Lower Maas; THE RHINELAND; The Hochwald; Xanten; THE RHINE; Emmerich-Hoch Elten; Zutphen; Deventer; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Sherbrooke, Quebec on 1 April 1910, when the '54th Regiment "Carabiniers de Sherbrooke"' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: 'Les Carabiniers de Sherbrooke' on 29 March 1920;Footnote 2 'Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke' on 15 January 1933;Footnote 3 'Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke (Reserve)' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 4 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke' on 18 March 1942;Footnote 5 and 'Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke' on 1 June 1945.Footnote 6
Upon redesignation as Les Carabiniers de Sherbrooke on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (163rd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
Les Carabiniers de Sherbrooke were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 137/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
'163rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'
The First World War
Details of the 54th Regiment "Carabiniers de Sherbrooke" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 7
The 163rd Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '163rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 8 embarked for Bermuda on 26 May 1916 for garrison duty.Footnote 9 It sailed from Canada for Great Britain on 27 November 1916.Footnote 10 It was absorbed by the '10th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 8 January 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 11 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1917.Footnote 12
The Second World War
The regiment, in conjunction with 'The Sherbrooke Regiment (Machine Gun)' (now 'The Sherbrooke Hussars'), mobilized 'The Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 13 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment, CASF' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 14 '1st Battalion, The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment, CASF' on 15 November 1940;Footnote 15 and upon conversion to armour, '27th Armoured Regiment (The Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment), CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942;Footnote 16 and '27th Armoured Regiment (The Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.Footnote 17 The regiment served in Newfoundland on garrison duty from 13 August 1941 to 15 February 1942,Footnote 18 and embarked for Great Britain on 27 October 1942.Footnote 19 On D-Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France as part the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 20 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 February 1946.Footnote 21
The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke, CASF' for active service on 18 March 1942.Footnote 22 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 15th Infantry Brigade, 7th Canadian Division and the 14th Infantry Brigade, 6th Canadian Division.Footnote 23 On 10 January 1945, it embarked for Great Britain, where it was disbanded on 18 January 1945.Footnote 24
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: