The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment

The official lineage of The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment infantry regiment.

Badge

Badge

Description

A torteau charged with a stag lodged on a torse and encircled by an annulus Or inscribed NORTH SHORE and NEW BRUNSWICK in letters Sable, all environed by a wreath of maple leaves Or, the whole surmounted in chief by the Royal Crown proper and in base by a scroll Or inscribed with the Motto in letters Sable.

Symbolism

The badge was created in 1922 and based on that of the 73rd Northumberland Regiment, one of The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment’s predecessors. The stag, an animal native to northern New Brunswick, represents the fighting spirit of the regiment.

Motto

PRO JURE CONSTANS; "Steadfast for the right"

March

to be determined

Alliance

to be determined

Regimental colour

Regimental colour

Camp flag

Camp flag

Battle honours

The War of 1812

DEFENCE OF CANADA - 1812-1815 - DÉFENSE DU CANADA; NIAGARA (both awarded in commemoration of the New Brunswick Fencible Infantry (104th Regiment of Foot)

Honorary Distinction

The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA - 1812-1815 - DÉFENSE DU CANADA (partly awarded in commemoration of the New Brunswick Fencibles)

The First World War

ARRAS, 1917, '18; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; AMIENS; HINDENBURG LINE; PURSUIT TO MONS.

The Second World War

NORMANDY LANDING; CAEN; Carpiquet; BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; FALAISE; Quesnay Wood, The Laison; Boulogne, 1944; Calais, 1944; THE SCHELDT; Breskens Pocket; THE RHINELAND; Waal Flats; The Hochwald; THE RHINE; Emmerich-Hoch Elten; Zutphen; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 25 February 1870 and incorporates the following regiment and artillery battery.

The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment originated in Chatham, New Brunswick, on 25 February 1870, when '"The 73rd Northumberland New Brunswick" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '73rd Northumberland Regiment' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 2 'The Northumberland (New Brunswick) Regiment' on 15 March 1920;Footnote 3 'The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment' on 1 April 1922;Footnote 4 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 and 'The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment' on 13 April 1946.Footnote 6 On 30 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '28th Field Battery, RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '2nd Battalion, The New Brunswick Regiment (North Shore)'.Footnote 7 It was redesignated ‘2nd Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (North Shore)’ on 18 May 1956.Footnote 8 On 7 June 2012 it was organized as a separate regiment and redesignated ‘The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment’.Footnote 9

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Northumberland (New Brunswick) Regiment on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (132nd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (165th (French Acadian) Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Northumberland (New Brunswick) Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 March 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 118/21 and GO 169/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 12 August 1977, all generic titles in the Canadian Forces, such as 'battalion', were made bilingual (Memorandum, DGBB (Director General Bilingualism and Biculturalism), 1901-1/1211-7-4, 12 Aug 77).

The 28th Field Battery, RCA originated in Newcastle, New Brunswick, on 18 December 1868, when a "field battery at Newcastle, County of Northumberland" was authorized to be formed.Footnote 10 It was redesignated: 'No. 12 "Newcastle" Field Battery’ on 1 July 1894;Footnote 11 '12th "Newcastle" Field Battery, CA' on 28 December 1895;Footnote 12 '__ (Newcastle) Battery, CFA’ on 2 February 1920;Footnote 13 '90th (Newcastle) Battery, CFA' on 12 March 1920;Footnote 14 '90th (Newcastle) Field Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 15 '28th (Newcastle) Field Battery, CA' on 15 May 1927;Footnote 16 '28th (Newcastle) Field Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 17 '28th (Reserve) (Newcastle) Field Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 18 '28th (Reserve) Field Battery, RCA' on 2 November 1942;Footnote 19 and '28th Field Battery, RCA' on 21 September 1945.Footnote 20 On 30 September 1954, it was amalgamated with 'The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment', as above.

Notes:

The 12th Field Battery, CA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 5 May 1913 and reorganized the next day (GO 84/13). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

The Royal New Brunswick Regiment's date of origin is not traced to the formation date of the Newcastle Field Battery as lineage is traced from the formation of unit not sub-unit sized organizations, i.e. regiments and battalions.

Perpetuations

‘1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, Northumberland County Regiment (1812-15)’, ‘1st Battalion, Saint John County Regiment (1812-15)’, ‘1st and 2nd Battalions, York County Regiment (1812-15)’, '132nd' and '165th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'; and '28th Field Battery, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Bathurst, New Brunswick

Operational history

The First World War

Details of the 73rd Northumberland Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.Footnote 21

The 132nd Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '132nd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 22 embarked for Great Britain on 26 October 1916.Footnote 23 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 28 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '13th Reserve Battalion, CEF'.Footnote 24 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.Footnote 25

The 165th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '165th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 26 embarked for Great Britain on 28 March 1917.Footnote 27 On 7 April 1917, its personnel were absorbed by the '13th Reserve Battalion, CEF' to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 28 The battalion was disbanded on 15 April 1918.Footnote 29

The 28th Battery, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '28th Battery, CEF',Footnote 30 embarked for Great Britain on 9 August 1915.Footnote 31 The battery disembarked in France on 21 January 1916, where it provided field artillery support as part of the '7th Brigade, CFA, CEF' in France and Flanders until 19 March 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '15th' and '16th Field Battery, CFA, CEF'.Footnote 32 The battery was disbanded on 1 November 1920.Footnote 33

The Second World War

Details of The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.Footnote 34 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.Footnote 35

The regiment subsequently mobilized 'The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 36 It was redesignated the '1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, CASF' on 7 November 1940.Footnote 37 It embarked for Great Britain on 18 July 1941.Footnote 38 On D-Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France, as part of the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and it continued to fight in North-West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 39 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 January 1946.Footnote 40

On 1 June 1945, a second Active Force component of the regiment was mobilized for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany, under the designation '3rd Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, CIC, CAOF.Footnote 41 The battalion was disbanded on 13 April 1946.Footnote 42

The 28th (Newcastle) Field Battery, RCA, in conjunction with the '89th Field Battery, RCA', mobilized the '28th/89th Field Battery, RCA, CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.Footnote 43 This unit was reorganized as two separate batteries on 1 January 1941, designated the '28th (Newcastle) Field Battery, RCA, CASF' and the '89th Field Battery, RCA, CASF'.Footnote 44 It embarked for Great Britain on 25 August 1940.Footnote 45 On 8 July 1944, it landed in France as a sub-unit of the 5th Field Regiment, 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, where it continued to fight in North- West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 46 The overseas battery was disbanded on 21 September 1945.Footnote 47

PDF version, 41.4 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: