The Perth Regiment
The official lineage of The Perth Regiment infantry regiment.
A saltire Azure between two thistles proper surmounted by a maple leaf Or charged with a hurt bearing the emblem of Perth County ensigned by a beaver couchant Argent, the hurt within an annulus Azure edged Argent inscribed THE PERTH REGIMENT in letters Or, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and resting on a scroll Azure edged Argent and inscribed AUDAX ET CAUTUS in letters Or.
The maple leaf represents service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The shield, which is the emblem of Perth County and the geographical base of the regiment, is quartered with a beaver above bearing in the first a shock of wheat, in the second a locomotive, in the third a plough, and in the fourth a bee hive. The St. Andrew's Cross (the patron saint of Scotland) and the thistles (the national flower of Scotland) are traditional Scottish symbols, the regiment being a highland infantry unit. "THE PERTH REGIMENT" is the regimental title and "AUDAX ET CAUTUS" is the motto of the regiment.
AUDAX ET CAUTUS (Bold and wary)
"Kenmure's On and Awa"
No camp flag recorded.
The First World War
YPRES, 1915; FESTUBERT, 1915.
The Second World War
LIRI VALLEY; Melfa Crossing; Ceprano; GOTHIC LINE; Montecchio; Point 204; CORIANO; LAMONE CROSSING; Fosso Munio; Conventello-Comacchio; ITALY, 1944-1945; Ijsselmeer; Delfzijl Pocket; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Stratford, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '28th "Perth Battalion of Infantry"' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '28th Perth Regiment' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 2 and 'The Perth Regiment' on 29 March 1920.Footnote 3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'C Company' of the '2nd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The Royal Canadian Regiment') and redesignated 'The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun).Footnote 4 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun)' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Motor)' on 1 April 1941;Footnote 6 and 'The Perth Regiment' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 7 On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the 'Highland Light Infantry of Canada' and redesignated 'The Perth and Waterloo Regiment (Highland Light Infantry of Canada)'.Footnote 8 On 1 April 1957, these two regiments ceased to be amalgamated and resumed their former designations.Footnote 9 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.Footnote 10
Upon redesignation as The Perth Regiment on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (110th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Perth Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 16 August 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 174/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The Perth Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 146/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The perpetuation of the 2nd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919- 1936) was assigned to The Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) (Machine Gun) (GO 148/36).
The Perth and Waterloo Regiment (Highland Light Infantry of Canada) was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1957 (CAO 78-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57), and reorganized the same day as two separate regiments (CAO 110-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57, and CAO 78-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/58). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
'110th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'
The First World War
Details of the regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 11
The 110th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '110th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 12 embarked for Great Britain on 31 October 1916.Footnote 13 On 2 January 1917, its personnel were absorbed by the '8th Reserve Battalion, CEF' to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 14 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 15
The Second World War
The regiment mobilized 'The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.Footnote 16 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Machine Gun), CASF' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 17 '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment (Motor), CASF' on 11 February 1941;Footnote 18 and '1st Battalion, The Perth Regiment, CIC, CASF' on 31 January 1943.Footnote 19 On 9 October 1941 it embarked for Great Britain.Footnote 20 The battalion landed in Italy on 8 November 1943, as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade, 5th Canadian Armoured Division.Footnote 21 In March 1945, the battalion moved with the 1st Canadian Corps to North-West Europe, where it fought until the end of the war.Footnote 22 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 31 January 1946.Footnote 23
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: