The Royal Regina Rifles

The official lineage of The Royal Regina Rifles infantry regiment.

Badge

Colonel-in-Chief: Her Royal Highness The Princess Anne The Princess Royal LG LT GCVO QSO GCL CD FRS

Badge

Description

Gules an escutcheon Vert charged in chief with a bison statant on a mount and in base with a garb Or, all within an annulus Vert edged and inscribed THE ROYAL REGINA RIFLES in letters Or, the whole surmounting a Maltese cross ensigned with a plaque Argent inscribed CANADA and supporting the Royal Crown proper, the limbs of the cross inscribed in chief MOUNT SORREL / FLERS-COURCELETTE / VIMY, 1917, in base NORMANDY LANDING / BRETTEVILLE-L'ORGUEUILLEUSE / THE ORNE, to the dexter FALAISE / LEOPOLD CANAL / MOYLAND WOOD, and to the sinister PASSCHENDAELE / AMIENS / CAMBRAI, 1918.

Symbolism

The word "CANADA" represents service to Canada, and the Crown, service to the Sovereign. The Maltese cross, which is based on the insignia of the Royal Guelphic Order, is common among badges of rifle regiments. The shield is based on the arms of the city of Regina, where the regiment is based and from where its name is derived. The inscriptions on the cross are selected regimental battle honours. "THE ROYAL REGINA RIFLES" is the regimental title.

Motto

None

March

Quick Marches

Lutzow's Wild Hunt

Double Past

Keel Row

Alliance

British Army

The Rifles

Regimental colour

Rifle regiments do not carry Colours. They may emblazon their battle honours on unit appointments such as cap badges or shoulder pouch belt plates.

Camp flag

Camp flag

Battle honours

The First World War

MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916, '18; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; Scarpe, 1917, '18; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-'18.

The Second World War

NORMANDY LANDING; Bretteville-l'Orgeuilleuse; CAEN; The Orne; BOURGUÉBUS RIDGE; Faubourg de Vaucelles; FALAISE; The Laison; The Seine, 1944; Calais, 1944; THE SCHELDT; Leopold Canal; Breskens Pocket; THE RHINELAND; Waal Flats; Moyland Wood; THE RHINE; Emmerich-Hoch Elten; Deventer; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944 45.

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 3 July 1905 and incorporates the following regiments and machine gun battalion.

The Royal Regina Rifles originated in Regina, Saskatchewan on 3 July 1905, when a "regiment of infantry in the districts of Assiniboia and Saskatchewan" was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated the '95th Regiment' on 2 April 1907,Footnote 2 and it became a rifle regiment on 1 May 1908.Footnote 3 It was redesignated the '95th Saskatchewan Rifles' on 1 June 1909.Footnote 4 On 1 April 1912, the regiment was reorganized as two separate regiments, designated the '105th Regiment' (now 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment') and the '95th Regiment'.Footnote 5 It was redesignated '95th "Saskatchewan Rifles" on 16 September 1913.Footnote 6 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the 60th Rifles of Canada (see below) and redesignated 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'.Footnote 7 On 15 May 1924, The South Saskatchewan Regiment was reorganized into five separate regiments, designated: 'The Weyburn Regiment' (now 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'); 'The Saskatchewan Border Regiment' (now 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment'); 'The South Saskatchewan Regiment' (now 'The Saskatchewan Dragoons'); 'The Assiniboia Regiment' (now the '10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA); and 'The Regina Rifle Regiment'.Footnote 8 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the 'Headquarters' and 'A Company' of the '12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (see below), retaining the same designation.Footnote 9 It was redesignated: '2nd Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 10 'The Regina Rifle Regiment' on 4 April 1946;Footnote 11 'The Royal Regina Rifle Regiment' on 5 July 1982;Footnote 12 and 'The Royal Regina Rifles' on 24 October 1984.Footnote 13

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The South Saskatchewan Regiment on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a five battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (28th Battalion, CEF) and 2nd Battalion (46th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 3rd Battalion (68th Battalion, CEF), 4th Battalion (128th Battalion, CEF), and 5th Battalion (195th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle.

On 1 October 1920, it was reorganized as a ten battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (28th Battalion, CEF), 2nd Battalion (46th Battalion, CEF), 3rd Battalion (no CEF designation), 4th Battalion (no CEF designation), and 5th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 6th Battalion (68th Battalion, CEF), 7th Battalion (128th Battalion, CEF), 8th Battalion (195th Battalion, CEF), 9th Battalion (no CEF designation) and 10th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle (GO 160/20).

The South Saskatchewan Regiment was disbanded for the purpose reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 232/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon reorganization as The Regina Rifle Regiment on 15 May 1924 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (28th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (68th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

On 15 January 1930, The Regina Rifle Regiment was authorized an additional battalion, designated the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion (195th Battalion, CEF) (GO 10/30). The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Regina Rifle Regiment was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 194/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 4 May 1951, the regiment mobilized two temporary Active Force companies designated "E" and "F" Company (CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 245/51; and SD 1 Letter No. 4237, 5 May 1951). "E" Company was reduced to nil strength upon its personnel being incorporated into the '1st Canadian Rifle Battalion' for service in Germany with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (SD 1 Letter No. 4365, 12 November 1951). It was disbanded on 29 July 1953 (CAO 78-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 352/53). "F" Company was initially used as a reinforcement pool for "E" Company. On 15 May 1952, it was reduced to nil strength, upon its personnel being absorbed by the newly formed '2nd Canadian Rifle Battalion' for service in Korea with the United Nations (SD 1 Letter No. 4452, 22 April 1952; and CAO 110-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 283/52). "F" Company was disbanded on 29 July 1953 (CAO 78-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 352/53).

The 60th Rifles of Canada originated in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan on 2 January 1913, when the '60th Rifles of Canada' were authorized to be formed.Footnote 14 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '95th Saskatchewan Rifles', as above.

The '12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' originated in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on 1 June 1919, when the '12th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 15 It was redesignated the '12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.Footnote 16 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Regina Rifle Regiment', as above.

Notes:

The 12th Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1919 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 194/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battalion.

The perpetuation of the 12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919-1936) was assigned to The Regina Rifle Regiment (GO 149/37).

Perpetuations

'28th', '68th' and '195th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF.

Headquarters Location

Regina, Saskatchewan

Operational history

The First World War

Details of the 95th "Saskatchewan Rifles" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.Footnote 17

The 28th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '28th Battalion, CEF',Footnote 18 embarked for Britain on 29 May 1915.Footnote 19 It disembarked in France on 18 September 1915, where it fought as part of the 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 20 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.Footnote 21

The 68th Battalion, which was authorized on 20 April 1915 as the '68th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 22 embarked for Britain on 28 April 1916.Footnote 23 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 6 July 1916, when its personnel were absorbed by the '32nd Reserve Battalion, CEF'.Footnote 24 The battalion was disbanded on 21 May 1917.Footnote 25

The 195th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '195th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 26 embarked for Britain on 31 October 1916.Footnote 27 Its personnel were absorbed by the '32nd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 12 November 1916, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 28 The battalion was disbanded on 27 July 1918.Footnote 29

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Regina Rifle Regiment, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.Footnote 30 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.Footnote 31 The regiment mobilized 'The Regina Rifle Regiment, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 32 It was redesignated the '1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, CASF' on 7 November 1940.Footnote 33 It embarked for Britain on 24 August 1941.Footnote 34 On D-Day, 6 June 1944, it landed in Normandy, France as part of the 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, and it continued to fight in North-West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 35 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 January 1946.Footnote 36

The regiment subsequently mobilized the '3rd Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, CASF' for active service on 12 May 1942.Footnote 37 It was redesignated the '2nd Airfield Defence Battalion (The Regina Rifle Regiment), CASF' on 19 July 1943.Footnote 38 The battalion served in Canada in a home defence role as part of Pacific Command.Footnote 39 It was disbanded on 15 November 1943.Footnote 40

On 1 June 1945, a third Active Force component of the regiment, designated '4th Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, CIC, CAOF', was mobilized for service with the Canadian Army Occupation Force in Germany.Footnote 41 The battalion was disbanded on 4 April 1946.Footnote 42

PDF version, 681.5 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: