Fisheries patrols and surveillance
The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) supports Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to help protect wild fish stocks. In this role, it uses:
- Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) ships; and
- Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) long-range patrol aircraft.
All CAF assets used on these missions carry DFO Fishery Officers.
The CAF helps DFO officials to enforce fishing regulations. It carries out separate operations to support DFO in both the Atlantic and the northern Pacific:
The CAF also uses space-based sensor systems to help by providing a wide-area look at the North Pacific.
Government of Canada partners
- Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 44/225 December 22, 1989
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 45/197 December 21, 1990
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 46/215 December 20, 1991
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: