Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations: frequently asked questions
1. What is the purpose of these regulations?
These Regulations apply to the Scott Islands Marine National Wildlife Area (NWA). The purpose of these Regulations is to provide a framework for managing human activities that might prevent the conservation of wildlife and wildlife habitat in the area. The Regulations support the conservation objective of the marine NWA, which is to conserve:
- migratory seabirds
- species at risk
- habitats, ecosystems and marine resources that support them
2. What are the key elements of these regulations?
These Regulations prohibit activities that would threaten the vitality of the Scott Islands marine environment. They provide protection to the area’s wildlife and wildlife habitat, in particular for seabirds. The prohibitions include:
- disturbing, damaging, destroying or removing wildlife or wildlife habitat
- low-level flight over the islands
- dumping or discharging waste material
The Regulations allow certain activities to continue without a permit. The exceptions include:
- enforcement and conservation activities
These activities must follow all other legislation that apply, such as the Fisheries Act, the Coastal Fisheries Protection Act, and theCanada Shipping Act. The purpose of these exemptions is to:
- avoid duplication of federal permit processes
- allow enforcement and management activities to be done quickly and efficiently
3. How do these regulations affect Canadian businesses?
These Regulations will not affect Canadian businesses as they do not place any compliance or administrative costs on small businesses. There are currently no business activities taking place in the area that would be affected by the Regulations.
4. What is the timeline for implementation?
The Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations, made under the authority of the Canada Wildlife Act, came into force on the day on which they were published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on June 27, 2018.
5. Where can I get more information?
For more information on the Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations, please contact us at:
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Public Inquiries Centre
7th floor, Fontaine Building
200 Sacré-Coeur Boulevard
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Toll Free: 1-800-668-6767 (in Canada only)
This document is intended to provide contextual information on the Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations. It does not replace the Canada Wildlife Act or the Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations. In the event of any inconsistencies, the Canada Wildlife Act and the Scott Islands Protected Marine Area Regulations shall prevail.
For more information:
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory Management
- The Red Tape Reduction Action Plan
- The Canada-United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: