Canadian Plant Health Council launched
"Agriculture is vital to Canada's economy. The establishment of the Canadian Plant Health Council is an important step in the prevention of risks to our plant resources, as well as in the protection of our plant health. As a farmer, I understand the value of partnerships. Together we can identify and work to advance key priorities to maximize economic opportunities in agriculture."
- The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"It is important for governments, industry and academia to work together to protect Canada's plant resources, including our crops sector, from current and emerging risks. This council will play an important role in enabling collective action on activities like pest and disease surveillance and biosecurity."
- Bill Greuel, Regulatory and Innovation Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) of Saskatchewan's Ministry of Agriculture and ADM Champion of the Canadian Plant Health Council
"Fruits and vegetables are very sensitive to new pests and disease. The Canadian Plant Health Council’s ability to coordinate an effective national response to such threats is extremely relevant to our industry, as consumers demand high quality produce."
- Brian Gilroy, President, Canadian Horticultural Council
"Working in collaboration with national industry sectors as well as provincial and federal governments, the Canada Wood Group is confident that the new Canadian Plant Health Council provides a mechanism to quickly address plant health risks, safeguard our natural resources and ensuring long term economic benefits to all Canadians."
- Barry Ford, General Manager and Plant Health Manager, Canada Wood
"The opportunity to be a part of a platform that prioritizes plant health-related activities to deliver the Plant and Animal Health Strategy for Canada ensures that Canada’s faculties of agriculture can deliver the appropriate training for new entrants into the agriculture sector and provide new science to protect our country’s plant resource base."
- Karin Wittenberg PhD, PAg, Dean, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, University of Manitoba, representing the Deans Council - Agriculture, Food & Veterinary Medicine
CFIA Media Relations
Follow the CFIA on social media
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: