Reminder: Take precautions when travelling during hurricane season
July 31, 2019 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
As we enter the peak of hurricane season, the Government of Canada reminds you to take severe weather conditions, such as hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones and monsoons, into consideration when planning your travels. Hurricane season lasts until November 30.
The most threatened areas frequently visited by Canadians during the hurricane season include the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and the eastern and Gulf coasts of the United States. If you decide to travel to one of these destinations during hurricane season, consider these recommendations:
- Always check the Government of Canada’s official Travel Advice and Advisories for up-to-date information on your destination.
- Purchase travel insurance and make sure it covers trip cancellation or interruption in the event of a hurricane.
- Carry emergency contact information for your airline or tour operator as well as for the Canadian government office nearest to your destination.
- Leave copies of your travel documents and detailed information on your itinerary, tour operation, flights, hotels, cruise ships, telephone numbers and email addresses with family or friends at home.
- Be prepared to change your travel plans on short notice and at your own cost.
- Stay informed of the latest regional weather forecasts and follow the advice and instructions of local authorities.
- Check your airline policy and tour bookings before heading on your trip for changes or cancellations due to weather.
- Sign up for Registration of Canadians Abroad. This free service will allow the Government of Canada to reach you in case of an emergency or during a natural disaster abroad.
Global Affairs Canada provides emergency consular assistance if you face an unexpected situation abroad. Our expert team is ready to assist you 24/7 through our Emergency Watch and Response Centre. If you require emergency assistance abroad, you can contact us anytime and from anywhere in the world by calling +1 613 996 8885 (call collect where available) or by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every year, Global Affairs Canada helps thousands of Canadians who run into problems while travelling, working, studying or living in other countries.
- Travel Advice and Advisories
- Registration of Canadians Abroad
- Advice for Canadians: Take precautions when travelling during hurricane season (May 27, 2019, news release)
- Travel insurance
- Hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones and monsoons
- Embassies and consulates
- Travel Smart app
- Request emergency assistance
- About consular services
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @TravelGoC and @CanadaFP
Like us on Facebook: Travel.gc.ca - Travel advice from the Government of Canada and Canada’s foreign policy - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: