Canada announces support for equitable access to new COVID-19 medical solutions
“COVID-19 is a threat that does not recognize borders and will only be overcome through coordinated action. Our global response is part of our domestic response: we will not be safe from COVID-19 in Canada until everyone, everywhere is. International cooperation between governments and other health partners will be crucial to beat the virus. Our government will continue to be a progressive voice to ensure a more equitable access for treatments.”
- Karina Gould, Minister of International Development
The Global Goal: Unite for Our Future leader’s Summit is being broadcast online, on June 27, as of 9:00 a.m. EST, while the accompanying concert will be broadcast on multiple television stations and online in prime time at 8:00 p.m. EST. The Summit will bring together global leaders in support of the ACT Accelerator, while the concert will mobilize global attention for the impact of COVID-19 around the world. Both events are organized by Global Citizen and the European Commission.
Global Citizen is the world’s largest movement of action takers and impact makers dedicated to ending extreme poverty by 2030.
The Government of Canada previously committed over $850 million in domestic research and development and international support as part of the Coronavirus Global Response’s fundraising effort.
This new support for international efforts to address COVID-19 is in addition to the $200 million in international development assistance provided by Canada to date.
- Canada and international partners launch the Coronavirus Global Response
- Joint statement by Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy regarding international collaboration in addressing COVID-19
- Backgrounder - Canada provides funding to address COVID-19 pandemic
- Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator
- Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)
Office of the Minister of International Development
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaDev
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international development - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: