Readout: Minister Ng speaks with South Korean trade minister Yoo Myung-hee
August 07, 2020 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
Yesterday evening, the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, spoke with Yoo Myung-hee, South Korea’s Minister for Trade.
The ministers discussed the importance of international cooperation to defend the global economy against protectionism, keep essential trade flowing, and mitigate the effects of COVID-19 on people in both countries and around the world.
They also spoke about their support for the central role of the WTO in providing predictability for the 2 countries’ businesses, as well as the work of the Canada-led Ottawa Group to strengthen the multilateral trading system and modernize the WTO through meaningful reforms.
Minister Ng and Minister Yoo agreed to work together to support women in trade and highlighted the role trade policy plays in advancing gender equality and women’s economic empowerment. The 2 ministers look forward to continuing their work to build an inclusive, sustainable and resilient economic recovery for people in both countries.
- June 2020 Statement of the Ottawa Group: Focusing Action on Covid-19
- Statement on joint commitment with WTO members to maintain predictable and rules-based trade at this critical time
- Statement on joint WTO efforts to ensure open and predictable trade for food and agricultural products amid COVID-19
- Statement on Multi-party Interim Arrangement for appealing trade disputes through WTO
- Statement on joint international effort to ensure supply chain connectivity amid COVID-19 pandemic
Office of the Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: