Recruitment for Indigenous peoples
Find out about Health Canada and Public Health Agency of Canada programs for Indigenous students and graduates. Also learn about the programs in place for Indigenous employees.
On this page
- About recruitment for Indigenous peoples
- The Aboriginal Student Employment Program
- Programs available to Indigenous graduate students
- Programs for Indigenous employees
- For more information
About recruitment for Indigenous peoples
Placement opportunities for Indigenous post-secondary students and graduates are available across Canada. They offer many advantages, such as:
- cultural diversity in the workplace
- opportunities for professional growth and development in an area related to your studies
- a variety of career opportunities, including health service delivery for First Nations and Inuit communities
The Aboriginal Student Employment Program
The Aboriginal Student Employment Program is open to students looking to expand their job skills. The program provides practical employment in their field of study.
This program is open to First Nations, Métis and Inuit students.
Students having completed a student employment program (Federal Student Work Experience Program, Co-operative Education Programs, Research Affiliated Program) may be considered for bridging opportunities into permanent or temporary, full-time/part time employment once they graduate.
If you are interested, e-mail the Aboriginal Student Employment Program.
Programs available to Indigenous graduate students
Positions are available for graduates in a variety of fields, including:
- policy and programs
A career with us offers you:
- a stable work environment with:
- great benefits
- possibilities of advancement
- the chance to do interesting and beneficial work to help protect and promote the health of Canadians
Programs for Indigenous employees
Once hired, Indigenous employees can make use of programs aimed to support career needs, including training and professional development.
Aboriginal Career Management for Employees Program
This program aims to improve career development. It uses a mix of job training, coaching and self-assessment exercises to help participants develop their skills and knowledge.
Aboriginal Employee Network (AEN)
This network provides a forum for Indigenous employees to:
- maintain a sense of community
- contribute to cultural awareness
- engage with and support each other
- provide advice on Indigenous subject matter as well as policy and program objectives
Champions for Indigenous employees (AEN)
These champions support and promote AEN initiatives to senior and middle managers.
Indigenous employee support
Employee support offers training to all Indigenous employees, such as part-time language training. Training gives employees the opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge while being supported in their career progression.
Aboriginal Management Development Program
This program is an assignment-based development program. It is designed to assist Indigenous employees aspiring to the executive level through challenging, hands-on assignments and classroom learning.
Aboriginal Peoples Employment Program
This program aims to increase, promote and retain Indigenous employees in Health Canada's First Nations and Inuit Health Branch.
- Apply for a job at Health Canada or the Public Health Agency of Canada
- Email the Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada's Student Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Federal public service jobs
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: