Group profile for Phthalates
- This group consists of diesters of 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, also known as ortho-phthalates.
- Fourteen substances are being considered for inclusion in this group and are identified in Table 1. The scope of this group may be expanded to inform a cumulative assessment approach if warranted.
- Within the phthalates group assessment, there are 3 potential sub-groups based on structure-activity (observed differences in developmental toxicity):
- Low molecular weight (MW) (R-alkyl backbone of 3 or less carbon atoms (≤C3).
- Intermediate MW [R-alkyl backbone of 4 to 6 carbon atoms (C4 to C6)].
- High MW (R-alkyl backbone of 7 or more carbon atoms (≥C7), or a benzyl group).
- From an ecological perspective, the initial approach may be to view the substances as a single broad group, with subgroups based on properties such as P, B, log Kow emerging early on in the assessment process.
Potential Sectoral Involvement Identified through Phase 1 of the DSL Inventory Update
- Plastic and rubber manufacturers
- Automotive manufacturing
- Chemical (except agricultural) wholesaler distributors
- Adhesive and sealants manufacturers
- Petroleum and Coal Product Manufacturing
|CAS RNTable 1 footnote 1||Substance Name||Substance CategoryTable 1 footnote 2||Acronym||Proposed Sub-Group|
Table 1 footnotes
|84-61-7||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, dicyclohexyl ester||Organics||DCHP||Intermediate MWTable 1 footnote 3|
|84-64-0||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, butyl cyclohexyl ester||Organics||BCHP||Intermediate MW|
|84-69-5||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, bis(2-methylpropyl) ester||Organics||DIBP||Intermediate MW|
|131-11-3||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, dimethyl ester||Organics||DMP||Low MW|
|523-31-9||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, bis(phenylmethyl) ester||Organics||DBenzP||High MW|
|3648-20-2||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, diundecyl ester||Organics||DUP||High MW|
|5334-09-8||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, cyclohexyl 2-methylpropyl ester||Organics||CHIBP||Intermediate MW|
|16883-83-3||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, 2,2-dimethyl-1-(1-methylethyl)-3-(2-methyl-1-oxopropoxy)propyl phenylmethyl ester||Organics||B84P||Intermediate MW|
|26761-40-0||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, diisodecyl ester||Organics||DIDP||High MW|
|27215-22-1||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, isooctyl phenylmethyl ester||Organics||BIOP||High MW|
|27987-25-3||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, bis(methylcyclohexyl) ester||Organics||DMCHP||Intermediate MW|
|28553-12-0||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, diisononyl ester||Organics||DINP||High MW|
|68515-40-2||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, benzyl C7-9-branched and linear alkyl esters||UVCBs-organic||B79P||High MW|
|71888-89-6||1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C6-8-branched alkyl esters, C7-rich||UVCBs-organic||DIHepP||Intermediate MW|
No HTML value set or detected. Use dialog in edit mode to add HTML.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: