Acetaminophen: Know your dose
Know your dose
The maximum recommended dose of acetaminophen for adults is 4,000 mg daily (the same as 8 extra strength tablets of 500 mg or 12 regular strength tablets of 325 mg). Taking more than the recommended dose can lead to severe or even fatal liver damage.
To take acetaminophen safely, make sure that you:
- Always read product labels carefully and follow the instructions.
- Know if your medications contain acetaminophen.
- Avoid taking more than one product containing acetaminophen at the same time.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure about your dose or have questions.
- Never take more than the maximum daily dose.
- If you have liver disease or drink 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, the maximum amount you can safely take may be less than what is listed on the product label.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: