Minister Chagger congratulates University of Waterloo and University of Western Ontario on cutting-edge infrastructure for researchers
New state-of-the-art equipment will boost research and innovation
March 15, 2016 – Ottawa – Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism, on behalf of the Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science, congratulates two of southern Ontario's finest universities, the University of Waterloo and the University of Western Ontario, on receiving more than $800,000 in infrastructure funding for five research projects.
Canada is committed to providing strong support for new research innovation and infrastructure. Our researchers tackle issues that matter to the lives of everyday Canadians—from ensuring sustainability in urban development to unlocking the secrets of osteoarthritis.
The investment was made by the Government of Canada through the Canada Foundation for Innovation's (CFI) John R. Evans Leaders Fund. This fund helps universities attract and retain the best and brightest researchers from around the world by giving them access to cutting-edge research tools.
"Investments like today's in Canada's research infrastructure are incredibly important to the nation's future. They give Canadian researchers the tools they need to make new discoveries that will better the lives of Canadians today and for years to come."– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science
"It makes me intensely proud to congratulate researchers in my region on bringing greater research infrastructure, thanks to the CFI, to the University of Waterloo and the University of Western Ontario. This infrastructure will bolster Waterloo and Western's reputations as research leaders in southern Ontario."– The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- The University of Waterloo is receiving $90,000 in infrastructure funding for two research projects and the University of Western Ontario is receiving $737,906 for three projects.
- On March 14, 2016, Minister Duncan announced an investment of more than $23 million for tools and equipment through the CFI's John R. Evans Leaders Fund to support 95 projects at 26 universities across Canada.
- This amount includes $5 million from the CFI's Infrastructure Operating Fund, a mechanism that assists institutions with the operating and maintenance costs associated with the new infrastructure.
- List of CFI-funded projects
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- John R. Evans Leaders Fund
- The CFI Research Facilities Navigator, an online directory of CFI-funded labs that are available to collaborate with the private sector
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Small Business and Tourism
Office of the Minister of Science
Innovation, Science and
Economic Development Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: