Think big, aim high and act boldly
Minister Bains challenges corporate Canada to unleash innovation by investing in people, technology, companies
October 28, 2016 – Toronto – Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
In a period of low economic growth, Canada needs to develop the skills and talent of its people, help innovative start‑ups grow into globally competitive companies and develop technologies that have the potential to transform all industries. Canada has a plan to drive economic growth through innovation.
This is the message that the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, delivered today to Canadian and international entrepreneurs, technology companies, policy‑makers and investors at the Google Go North summit. During his address, entitled "Innovate the North," Minister Bains emphasized the need for both government and the private sector to make smart investments in three key areas:
- People: Expand work‑integrated learning programs, such as internships, apprenticeships and continuous learning opportunities, for Canadians at every stage of their careers—from new graduates up to the highest‑ranking executives.
- Technology: Set big‑horizon goals and create broad‑based partnerships to fund ambitious research projects that solve complex, large‑scale problems and spark commercial opportunities for the private sector.
- Companies: Leverage the buying power of government, as the single‑largest purchaser of goods and services, to support the growth of innovative companies that have the potential to be globally competitive.
These priority areas are part of Canada's Innovation Agenda, an inclusive plan to drive economic growth and create well‑paying jobs for the middle class and those working hard to join it. Minister Bains outlined how the Innovation Agenda will create the conditions for growth across all sectors of the economy and will help raise living standards for all Canadians. He concluded by challenging corporate Canada to spend more on research and development, adopt new technologies and invest in more learning opportunities for their employees.
"When it comes to driving growth through innovation, our government is prepared to think big, aim high and act boldly—just like an entrepreneur. Our government is prepared to do its share, but we need corporate Canada to join us. I challenge the private sector to invest more in the people, companies and technologies that will propel us to a more prosperous future."– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- The Google Go North summit celebrates excellence in Canada's technology sector.
- Canadians participated enthusiastically during a summer of public engagement on the Innovation Agenda: 28 round‑table discussions and thousands of digital interactions yielded over 1,300 ideas on how to drive economic growth through innovation.
- In the coming months, these ideas will inform the government's work on the Innovation Agenda, as well as Budget 2017.
Follow Minister Bains on social media.
Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: