There has been only 1 vessel named Charny in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Charny (S02 / Z02 / Z26)
Originally named Cartier, she was built as a hydrographic survey ship and that is exactly what she was doing for the federal government when she was requisitioned and commissioned by the Royal Canadian Navy as an armed patrol vessel on the East coast during the First World War, from 1917 to 1919.
She reverted to government service (Department of Mines and Resources) between the wars, before being re-commissioned as a training ship at the naval training establishment HMCS Stadacona in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on September 18, 1939, for the duration of the Second World War.
She was renamed Charny on December 9, 1941. Paid off on December 12, 1945, she was sold to an individual in Sydney, Nova Scotia. The last report of her, dated July 7, 1958 (from Dominion Hydrographer), stated that she was lying in Sydney Creek, at the head of Sydney Harbour, Nova Scotia, in a sunken condition with her funnel and mast above water.
- Builder: Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle, United Kingdom.
- Launched: 1910
- Date commissioned: December 8, 1941
- Paid off: December 12, 1945
- Displacement: 556 tons
- Dimensions: 50 m x 8.8 m x 3.3 m
- Speed: 12 knots
- Crew: 60
- Armament: three 12-pound (5.45 kg) guns (3 single mounts)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: