There has been only 1 vessel named Granby in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Granby (J264 / 180)
The Granby was a Bangor Class minesweeper. The Bangor Class ships were built in order to replace the old Basset Class minesweepers, as they were larger, faster, had much greater endurance, and burned oil as opposed to coal. Most of the Bangors were named after Canadian towns and cities, the rest after bays. As enemy mines were laid only once in 1943 in Canadian waters, the Bangors were used primarily as escorts to coastal shipping or as local escorts to ocean convoys.
Commissioned at Québec City, Quebec, on May 2, 1942, Granby arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on May 13. She completed working up and was assigned first to Sydney Force and then to Western Local Defence Force. In June 1943, when the latter was divided into escort groups, she became a member of Escort Group W-3, but returned to Sydney Force in May 1944. During this period, she underwent an extensive refit at Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, from June to October 1944. After work-ups in Bermuda, she returned in November and was assigned to Shelburne Force in February 1945.
In April 1945, she was transferred to Halifax Force and remained under repair at Halifax until paid off on July 31. Although allocated to the marine section of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as Col. White, she was not actually taken over. Granby was re-commissioned on May 23, 1953, for conversion to a deep-diving tender, and served as such in Halifax until finally paid off on December 15, 1966, and sold.
- Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Quebec.
- Displacement: 592 tons
- Dimensions: 49.4 m x 8.5 m x 2.5 m
- Speed: 16 knots
- Crew: 83
- Armament: (wartime) one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns (2 single mounts), and depth charges; (post-war) one Hedgehog mortar, one 40-mm gun, two 20-mm guns (2 single mounts), and depth charges.
- Atlantic 1942-44
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: