HMCS Inch Arran
There has been only one vessel named Inch Arran in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Inch Arran (K667 / 308)
Alternatively named for the town of Dalhousie, New Brunswick, because the latter name was borne by another Commonwealth ship. This River Class frigate was commissioned on November 8, 1944, at Québec City, Quebec, and left for Halifax, Nova Scotia, on December 3, visiting Dalhousie en route. In January, she proceeded to Bermuda to work up, and on her return to Halifax on February 4 was assigned to Escort Group 28. She served for the rest of the war on anti-submarine and support duties out of Halifax, and on May 13 escorted the surrendered German submarine U-889 into Shelburne, Nova Scotia.
A refit commenced on June 6 at Sydney, Nova Scotia, was suspended on August 20, and the ship was paid off November 28, 1945. Placed in reserve at Shelburne, she was sold in 1946 to Marine Industries Ltd., but reacquired in 1951 by the Royal Canadian Navy for conversion to a Prestonian Class escort at Saint John, New Brunswick. Re-commissioned on August 23, 1954, HMCS Inch Arran served on the east coast as a training ship until finally paid off on June 23, 1965. She was then acquired by the Kingston Mariner’s Association for conversion to a nautical museum and youth club, but was eventually scrapped in 1970.
- Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Quebec.
- Laid down: October 25, 1943
- Launched: June 6, 1944
- Commissionning date: November 18, 1944
- Paying off date: November 21, 1945
- Displacement: 1,445 tons
- Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
- Speed: 19 knots
- Crew: 141
- Recommissionning date as Prestonian class: August 23, 1954
- Paying off date (final): June 23, 1965
- Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mount), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 double mounts), one Hedgehog mortar, depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mount), six 40-mm guns (1 double mount, 4 single mounts), two Squid Mortars.
- Date modified: