There has been only one vessel named Lanark in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Lanark (K669 / 321)
Alternatively named for the town of Perth, Ontario, because the latter name was used by another ship, she was commissioned on July 6, 1944, at Montréal, Quebec. The River Class frigate Lanark arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia on July 28. She carried out work-ups in Bermuda in September and, returning to Halifax in October, was assigned to the newly formed Escort Group C-7, Londonderry, Northern Ireland. She spent the balance of the European war on convoy duty, most of that time as Senior Officer’s ship, and sailed for home in early June 1945.
In mid-July, she began refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, but this was called off on August 31, 1945, and the ship was paid off at Sydney, Nova Scotia, on 24 October.
She was then placed in reserve at Shelburne, Nova Scotia, but was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. in 1946. Later re-purchased by the Royal Canadian Navy, she was converted to a Prestonian Class ocean escort 1954-55, and on April 26, 1956, re-commissioned for training purposes on the east coast. Lanark was paid off for the last time on March 16, 1965, and broken up at La Spezia, Italy, the following year.
- Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montréal, Quebec
- Laid down: September 25, 1943
- Launched: December 10, 1943
- Commissionning date: July 6, 1944
- Paying off date: October 24, 1945
- Re-commissionning date as Prestonian Class: April 15, 1956
- Paying off date (final): March 19, 1965
- Displacement: 1,445 tons
- Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
- Speed: 19 knots
- Crew: 141
- Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mounts), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 double mounts), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mounts), six 40-mm guns (1 double mounts, 4 single mount), two Squid mortars
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: