There has been only one vessel named Lockeport in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Lockeport (J100)
Built for the Royal Navy at Vancouver, British Columbia, but transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy for manning, the Bangor Class minesweeper Lockeport was commissioned on May 27, 1942, and served with Esquimalt Force until March 17, 1943, when she left for Halifax, Nova Scotia.
On her arrival there on April 30, she was assigned briefly to Western Local Escort Force and in June to Halifax Force. In November and December 1943, she was loaned to Newfoundland Force but was withdrawn owing to engine trouble.
On January 9, 1944, while en route to Baltimore, Maryland, for refit, her engines broke down during a storm, and she made 190 miles under improvised sail before being towed the rest of the way to her destination. Upon her return to Halifax in April, Lockeport was ordered to Bermuda to work up, and on the homeward journey she escorted the boats of the 78th Motor Launch Flotilla. Returning to Sydney Force in May 1944, she was frequently an escort to the Port-aux-Basques/Sydney ferry.
She left Canada on May 27, 1945, for the United Kingdom, and was returned to the Royal Navy at Sheerness on July 2, to be broken up 3 years later.
- Builder : North Van Ship Repairs Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Laid down : June 17, 1941
- Launched : August 22, 1941
- Commissionning date : May 27, 1942
- Paying off date : July 2, 1945
- Displacement : 672 tons
- Dimensions : 54.9 m x 8.7 m x 2.5 m
- Speed : 16 knots
- Crew : 83
- Armament : one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg), two 20-mm guns (2 single mounts), depth charges
Gulf of St. Lawrence 1944
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: