There has been only one vessel named Magog in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Magog (K673)
Far more habitable ships than the smaller corvettes, the frigates of the River Class were also faster and had twice the endurance of the corvette. The Royal Navy frigates were named for rivers and hence known as the River Class; the Royal Canadian Navy ships were named for towns and cities.
After her commissioning at Montréal, Quebec on May 7, 1944, the River Class frigate Magog arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on May 28 and worked-up briefly in St. Margaret’s Bay before sailing for Bermuda to complete the process in July. She then returned to Montréal for repairs, subsequently completing these at Halifax in August. There she joined Escort Group 16, performing anti-submarine duty in the Halifax, Gaspé, and Sydney areas.
On October 14, 1944, while escorting convoy GONS.33 (the Gulf section of ONS.33), she was torpedoed and badly damaged by German submarine U-1223 in the St. Lawrence River off Pointe-des-Monts, Quebec. Lacking 60 feet (18.3 m) of her stern, she was towed to Québec and there declared a constructive total loss.
Magog was paid off on December 20, 1944, to care and maintenance, and sold in 1945 to Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel, Quebec, who scrapped her in 1947.
- Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montréal, Quebec
- Laid down: June 16, 1943
- Launched: September 22, 1943
- Date commissioned: May 7, 1944
- Date paid off: December 20, 1944
- Displacement: 1,445 tons
- Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
- Speed: 19 knots
- Crew: 141
- Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mount), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 double mounts), one Hedgehog mortar, depth charges
Gulf of St. Lawrence 1944
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: