There has been only one vessel named Merrittonia in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Merrittonia (K688)
She was named for Merritton, Ontario, the name modification having been suggested by the town council.
Commissioned at Québec City, Quebec, on November 10, 1944, the Flower class corvette Merrittonia arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in mid-December and sailed to Bermuda for a month’s work-ups. On her return, Merrittonia was assigned to Escort Group C-7 and left St. John’s, Newfoundland, on February 7 to meet the group, which was westbound with convoy ON.283 from Britain. Thereafter continuously employed on North Atlantic convoy duty, she left Londonderry, Northern Ireland, for the final time at the beginning of June 1945.
Merrittonia was paid off on July 11, 1945, and laid up at Sorel, Quebec, for disposal. Purchased by K.C Irving Ltd. Of Moncton, New Brunswick, on November 16, she was wrecked on the Nova Scotia coast on November 30, 1945.
- Builder: Morton Engineering and Dry Dock Co., Quebec City, Quebec
- Laid down: November 23, 1943
- Date launched: June 24, 1944
- Date commissioned: November 10, 1944
- Date paid off: July 11, 1945
- Displacement: 970 tons
- Dimensions: 63.5 m x 10.1 m x 2.9 m
- Speed: 16 knots
- Crew: 85
- Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, one 2-pound (0.9 kg) gun, two 20-mm guns (2 single mounts), one Hedgehog mortar, and depth charges.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: