HMCS Mont Joli
There has been only one vessel named Mont Joli in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Mont Joli (Fy93 / Z02 / Z24)
Originally, a privately owned wooden vessel built at Meteghan, Nova Scotia, in 1938, the east coast auxiliary Mont Joli was requisitioned on July 5, 1940, and chartered at a rate of $600 a month for use as an examination vessel at Halifax, Nova Scotia. Mont Joli underwent extensive refit in the Halifax Dockyard. The conversion was completed in May 1941.
She was employed as an accommodation ship alongside and conducted ship examination service between May 1942 and May 1943. The Royal Canadian Navy’s Examination Service controlled traffic into and out of the port of Halifax. Each arriving ship was met by a number of small boats at the Examination Anchorage off MacNab’s Island. There, the ship’s legitimacy was verified before it was allowed into port. Thus, in wartime, the chief examining officer essentially supplanted the role of harbour-master.
When her owner refused to sell, she was acquired on behalf of His Majesty on June 29, 1943. She was paid off on March 29, 1946, and shortly afterward sold for commercial use. She still existed under the same name as late as 1966, when she was destroyed by fire.
- Date chartered: July 5, 1940
- Date commissioned: June 29, 1943
- Date paid off: March 29, 1946
- Displacement: 279.4 tonnes
- Dimensions: 36.7 m x 7.5 m x 3.4 m
- Speed: 9 knots
- Crew: 33
- Armament: None
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: