HMCS New Glasgow
There has been only one vessel named HMCS New Glasgow in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS New Glasgow (K320 / 315)
Commissioned on December 23, 1943, at Esquimalt, British Columbia, the River Class frigate HMCS New Glasgow arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on February 17, 1944, and then proceeded to Bermuda to work up. On her return in late April, she joined Escort Group C-1 and left St. John’s, Newfoundland, with her first convoy, HXS.291, on May 15. She spent the next 5 months steadily employed on convoy duty.
In late September, HMCS New Glasgow was allocated to Escort Group 26, then forming at Londonderry, Northern Ireland, and for the remainder of the European war served in British waters, based for short periods at either Portsmouth or Plymouth, England.
On March 21, 1945, she rammed and fatally damaged German submarine U- 1003 off Lough Foyle, Ireland, and was herself laid up for repairs at Rosyth, Scotland, until June 5. She then proceeded via Londonderry to Halifax and thence to Shelburne, Nova Scotia, where she was paid off to reserve on November 5.
Eventually rebuilt as a Prestonian Class ocean escort, she was re-commissioned on January 30, 1954, and served in a training capacity until January 30, 1967, when she was paid off at Esquimalt. HMCS New Glasgow was broken up in Japan later that year.
- Builder: Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt, British Columbia
- Date laid down: January 4, 1943
- Date launched: May 5, 1943
- Displacement: 1468.2 tonnes
- Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
- Speed: 19 knots
- Crew: 141
- Armament: (River) two 4-inch (102-mm) guns (1 double mount), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm (4 single mounts) guns, one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges; (Prestonian) two 4-inch (102-mm) (1 double mount) guns, six 40-mm guns (1 double mount, 4 single mounts), two Squid Mortars.
Motto: “Dum Cano Cavete” (When I sing take heed)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: