HMCS St. Pierre
There has been only one vessel named St. Pierre in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS St. Pierre (K680)
Commissioned on 22 August 1944 at Québec City, the River Class frigate St. Pierre arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in October and spent more than four months under repair. She carried out workups in Bermuda in March 1945 and on 5 April left for Londonderry, Northern Ireland, via the Azores, having been assigned to Escort Group 9. From Horta, Azores, she picked up convoy SC.172, arriving at Londonderry on 21 April. On 13 May she left Greenock, Scotland, to escort convoy JW.67 to North Russia, but was detached three days later to accompany a number of surrendered U-boats bound from Trondheim, Norway, to Loch Eriboll, Scotland.
She left the United Kingdom late that month for Canada, and on 4 June commenced refit at Lauzon, Quebec. The job was called off on 20 August and the ship paid off 22 November at Sydney, Nova Scotia, to be placed in reserve at Shelburne, Nova Scotia.
In 1947, she was sold to the Peruvian Navy and renamed Teniente Palacios, shortened to Palacios in 1953. Stricken from the Peruvian Navy list on 18 December 1965 and sold, she was towed to Chimbote, Peru, for breaking up on 29 March 1968.
- Builder: Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co. Ltd., Lauzon, Québec
- Date laid down: June 30, 1943
- Date launched: December 1, 1943
- Date commissioned: August 22, 1944
- Date paid off: November 22, 1945
- Displacement: 1468.2 tonnes
- Dimensions: 91.9 m x 11.1 m x 2.7 m
- Speed: 19 knots
- Crew: 141
- Armament: two 4-inch (102-mm) gun (1 x II), one 12-pound (5.45 kg) gun, eight 20-mm guns (4 x II), one Hedgehog mortar and depth charges
- Atlantic 1945
- Arctic 1945
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: