NR-07.001 - February 9, 2007
OTTAWA - The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of National Defence,
concluded the NATO Defence Ministers informal meetings in Seville,
Spain, February 8-9, saying the meetings were very positive and
successful.
Discussions focused, among other topics, on NATO's operation in
Afghanistan. "All NATO countries know what needs to be done and have
pledged to work closely with one another to succeed in
Afghanistan. The recent additional contributions to the
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) made by the United
States, United Kingdom and other countries will result in enhanced
security in the south," said Minister O'Connor.
Minister O'Connor also met with Afghanistan's Minister of Defence.
"Afghanistan's Minister of Defence was clear about the needs of his
country," added Minister O'Connor. "Afghanistan wants a
continued engagement from NATO to help Afghans to get back on their
feet. He asked specifically for assistance and equipment for the Afghan
National Army (ANA), and NATO committed to providing that assistance."
Minister O'Connor held a meeting with his colleagues from the Regional
Command South (RCS)-Afghanistan, including his counterparts from the
United States, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Australia, Estonia, Romania
and Netherland.
"We achieved considerable success last year in Afghanistan, and NATO
needs to maintain that momentum, especially on the development and
reconstruction front in the South," said Minister O'Connor.
"Canada continues to show international leadership by committing
troops, resources, and development and governance to help the Afghan
government secure a better future for its people," said Minister
O'Connor.
-30-
For more information about the visit, please contact:
Isabelle Bouchard
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of National Defence
613-996-3100