No. H 145/09
For release - October 23, 2009
SAGUENAY, QUEBEC — The governments of Canada and Quebec are today announcing the opening of two rebuilt four-lane divided sections of Highway 175 between kilometre (km) 113 and km 124, in the Mare-du-Sault area, and between km 176 and km 190, in the Lac des Uries area.
These two sections total 25 km and add to previously rebuilt four-lane stretches, bringing the total to 92 km, as follows:
- from km 53.4 to km 60
- from km 84 to km 96
- from km 113 to km 135
- from km 166 to km 167
- from km 176 to km 227
"The Government of Canada is encouraged to see the progress achieved in the twinning of Highway 73/175," said the Minister of National Revenue and Minister of State (Agriculture), Jean-Pierre Blackburn. "This major investment in a key road is a solid example of federal government actions that will help stimulate the economy and create jobs during these difficult economic times while contributing to the region's economic growth and social development. In addition, as winter is approaching, these new sections will greatly enhance road safety for users"
"The Highway 73/175 project is gaining momentum — 90 per cent of this large-scale project is currently underway or complete," said Quebec Minister of Transport, Julie Boulet. "We can already see how this four-lane divided stretch of Highway 175 enhances the safety of its users."
The opening of this stretch of road is part of the project to rebuild Highway 73/175 between Quebec City and the Saguenay region, from km 53.4 to km 227. The governments of Canada and Quebec are each committed to investing $262.5 million in the first phase of funding for this project.
Again this year, there are many highway construction sites in Quebec. Drivers are therefore asked to exercise care when approaching these sites. Plan your safe travel by contacting Québec 511 Info Transports. Simply dial 511 in Quebec or visit www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca.
– 30 –