Archived - Harper Government to Balance Budget in 2015
January 2, 2015 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Finance
Finance Minister Joe Oliver today highlighted how the Harper Government's commitment to Canadians to return to budget balance will help support jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for Canadians in 2015.
- Balancing the budget is a means to increase Canada’s economic potential, improve employment opportunities for Canadians and raise the nation’s standard of living.
- The benefits of balancing the budget and reducing debt include:
- Ensuring that tax dollars are used to support important social services—like elderly benefits and health care—rather than paying interest costs;
- Instilling confidence in consumers and investors, whose dollars spur economic growth and job creation; and,
- Strengthening the country’s ability to respond to longer-term challenges, such as population aging, unexpected global economic shocks, and global security threats.
Office of the Minister of Finance
Department of Finance
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: