Update: Quebec Flooding Recovery
“I would like to thank Canadian Armed Forces members and Government personnel for their quick response and dedicated service to Canadians during this crisis. I would also like to thank all first responders, Red Cross personnel, volunteers and all Canadians who have come together to support and assist their neighbours and communities in combatting the effects of this flooding season.”
– The Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
“The level of commitment, professionalism and goodwill that our troops demonstrate when their country calls upon them is commendable. In times of crisis, the best parts of us shine through in how we support one another. On behalf of all Canadians, I want to say thank you to all of our soldiers, sailors, and air personnel who provided assistance to fellow Canadians impacted by the spring floods”
– The Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
- On May 5, 2017, the Minister of Public Safety accepted a formal request for federal assistance from the Government of Quebec.
- The Government of Canada will pay all costs to support the CAF role in the emergency response.
- CAF support included: distributing and filling sandbags, transporting affected citizens, reinforcement of dikes and walls protecting critical infrastructure, and providing assistance to civilian partners, such as the Red Cross.
- Broader Government support included:
- Obtaining needed resources and materials, such as sandbags;
- Providing temporary accommodations at the Canadian Border Services Agency college in Rigaud;
- Conducting surveillance flights of affected area;
- Coordinating the capture and analysis of satellite imagery; and
- Forecasting water levels and analyzing data to provide weather and flood reports.
- The Government of Canada announced a $1 million contribution to the Canadian Red Cross to assist with flood efforts.
Scott BardsleyOffice of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
Public Safety Canada
Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence
Phone: 613-996-2353 Toll-Free: 1-866-377-0811
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
For more information, please visit the website www.publicsafety.gc.ca.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: