What to do next

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

Besides notifying the federal government of a death, there are a few other things that you may need to do.

On this page

Settling an estate

Estate law, including wills, powers of attorney and probate fees, falls under provincial and territorial jurisdiction.

Get information about:

Notify credit reporting agencies

Contact the 2 credit reporting agencies in Canada to notify them of the death:

This will help to avoid any fraudulent credit checks in the name of the deceased person.

Find other resources from your province or territory

More information about what to do and what support is available in your province or territory.

Find other resources from your province or territory

Find more benefits and services

Use the Benefits Finder tool to learn more about other federal, provincial and territorial programs, benefits, and services that you may be eligible for.

Benefits Finder

Page feedback
Did you find what you were looking for?

If not, tell us why below:

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.

Thank you for your feedback.

Date modified: