What is RSS?
Rich Site Summary (RSS) or as some refer to it, Real Simple Syndication, is an XML-based format for content distribution in real time. Shared Services Canada RSS feeds will include the date, title, summary, and a link to the full news release. If after reading a summary you want to view the full article, simply link to the full document found on the Shared Services Canada media room.
Why use RSS?
There are a number of benefits to using RSS, including:
- You select what news you want. RSS allows you to select the type of news and information you receive from websites.
- You determine when you get your news. Once you download your news reader, you can customize it to go and fetch the news every five minutes, or every hour - depending on how you want it.
- Cut down on spam. Because RSS requires you to download a news reader, you aren't subscribing to e-mail lists, which can increase your risk of getting unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
Instructions on Adding a News Feed to Your Feed Reader or RSS Aggregator
Recent Web browsers
Modern Web browsers have an integrated RSS reader. If the Feed button in your Web browser lights up, it means that the site offers RSS feeds. Click the icon to see the feed and, if you want, subscribe to have the feed automatically sent to your computer. When you click the subscribe button , the feed is automatically added to the Favorites Center and to the Common Feed List for sharing with other programs.
Older Web browsers
Older Web browsers do not have an integrated RSS reader, therefore you will need to install a RSS feed reader or aggregator (see links below). Once a feed reader is installed follow these steps:
- Using your mouse, right click on the RSS feed below you would like to subscribe to.
- The pop-up menu that appears will vary based on your web browser.
- Internet Explorer users select the "Copy Shortcut" option.
- Users of Firefox, Netscape, Opera and other web browsers select the "Copy Link Location" option.
- Launch your RSS aggregator or feed reader program and paste the copied URL into an "Add New Feed" window.
Detailed instructions on how to add news feeds are included in the news reader application that you choose. When news releases are issued to the Shared Services Canada media room, you will be alerted by your aggregator. The aggregator will advise you of recently posted news releases when opened. No personal information is required to subscribe to an RSS feed.
RSS aggregators / Feed readers
There are various RSS aggregators / feed readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: