Minister Garneau’s statement on the Transportation Modernization Act receiving Royal Assent
May 23, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario Transport Canada
The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today issued the following statement regarding the Royal Assent of the Transportation Modernization Act. Among other measures, the Act will enhance the traveller experience for Canadians and, most importantly, will create a world-leading approach to air passenger rights, and will also include new tools and benefits for rail shippers.
“I am pleased that the Transportation Modernization Act has received Royal Assent today, which shows the Government of Canada’s commitment to improving our transportation system.
“The first major element of this Act is that air passengers should know their rights and are entitled to clear, consistent, transparent and enforceable compensation, as well as minimum standards of treatment when things do not go as planned.
“The Act is part of the Government’s strategic plan for the future of transportation in Canada, Transportation 2030. It includes amendments to the Canada Transportation Act and other related transportation acts to:
- Provide a more transparent, fair, efficient and safer freight rail system that meets the long-term needs of users and facilitates trade and economic growth for years to come.
- Mandate the Canadian Transportation Agency to develop regulations to strengthen air passenger rights, and establish clear standards of treatment and consistent compensation for air travellers under certain circumstances.
- Provide travellers with more choice and lower prices through increased competition by:
- Liberalizing international ownership restrictions for Canadian air carriers, and
- Creating a more predictable approach to the consideration of air carrier joint ventures.
- Increase safety by requiring railways to install voice and video recorders in locomotives to better understand events leading to an accident as well as help prevent future accidents.
“The Government of Canada understands the importance of an efficient and reliable rail system for moving Canadian grain and other commodities to market and we are going even further to ensure that producers and shippers of all commodities, from grain to forest products to minerals – who are key to the continued success of Canada’s economy - have the tools they need to thrive.
“In addition to the measures included in this Act, the Government of Canada is taking further action to continue to advance the implementation of Transportation 2030 over the medium and longer-term. This includes working in close collaboration with Indigenous partners as well as provincial and territorial governments, industry and Canadians.
“The Government of Canada is committed to providing Canadians with a safe, secure, innovative and integrated transportation system that promotes trade, economic growth and a cleaner environment.”
Office of the Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport, Ottawa
Transport Canada, Ottawa
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: