Canada and New Zealand sign cooperation arrangement to enhance support in cross-border competition enforcement
April 12, 2016 — OTTAWA, ON — Competition Bureau
A new cooperation arrangement between the Competition Bureau and the New Zealand Commerce Commission will further enhance collaboration in terms of information sharing and the provision of investigative assistance.
Commissioner of Competition John Pecman and Chairman Dr. Mark Berry of the NZCC signed a cooperation arrangement today in Vancouver that will further enhance Canada’s and New Zealand’s abilities to cooperate on cross‑border competition matters.
Collaboration with international counterparts to ensure that markets remain competitive and innovative is crucial in the global economy. International partnerships also enhance the impact of the Bureau’s work in ensuring that Canadian consumers benefit from competitive prices and increased product choices, and that Canadian businesses prosper in both domestic and foreign markets.
- The Bureau is committed to enhancing the impact of its competition compliance and promotion efforts through increased collaboration with its international enforcement partners.
- This is the second competition cooperation arrangement signed between the Bureau and the NZCC. The Bureau signed a cooperation arrangement with the NZCC and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission in October 2000.
- The Bureau has negotiated cooperation instruments with 13 jurisdictions, including Australia, Brazil, Chile, the European Union, India, Japan, the People’s Republic of China, the Republic of Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States.
"The sharing of information with international counterparts is crucial in the global economy to ensure that markets remain competitive and innovative. This second cooperation arrangement with the New Zealand Commerce Commission will further enhance our abilities to work together to the benefit of our consumer and business communities. I look forward to collaborating with New Zealand on cross‑border enforcement matters."John Pecman
Commissioner of Competition
- Cooperation Arrangement Between the Commissioner of Competition (Canada), the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the New Zealand Commerce Commission Regarding the Application of their Competition and Consumer Law
- Competition Bureau’s International Efforts
- Video — Welcome to the Competition Bureau!
For media enquiries, please contact:
For general enquiries, please contact:
Toll free: 1-800-348-5358
TTY (hearing impaired): 1-866-694-8389
The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: