Regulatory Initiative: Draft Regulations Amending the Fuel Charge Regulations - Forward Regulatory Plan 2022-2024
Title or working title of the regulatory initiative:
Draft Regulations Amending the Fuel Charge Regulations
Description of the objective:
On August 9, 2022, the Government of Canada announced proposed amendments to Fuel Charge Regulations. These proposed relieving technical and housekeeping measures would improve the application of the fuel charge system by:
- removing a methane threshold requirement from the definition of marketable natural gas;
- providing proportional relief for renewable aviation fuels blended with conventional aviation fuels;
- providing proportional relief for hydrogen blended with natural gas;
- providing a rebate in certain cases for fuel removed from a backstop jurisdiction; and
- clarifying the non-application of the fuel charge to combustible waste that is burned at a covered facility in a listed province.
Indication of business impacts:
The Small Business Lens is not expected to apply.
Public consultation opportunities:
Canadians were consulted on the draft regulatory proposals as part of a consultation announced by news release on August 9, 2022. Interested parties were invited to provide comments on the proposals by September 30, 2022.
The news release for the consultation, along with the draft regulatory proposals, is available on the Finance Canada website.
- Date modified: