Laws, regulations and Ministerial Orders
Finance Canada oversees the development of tax law and other measures, including legislation governing banks and other federal financial institutions, and payments to provinces such as equalization, all of which the Minister of Finance is responsible for.
The Department is therefore involved in preparing many bills that come before Parliament. In an average year a quarter of all the legislation going to Parliament is sponsored by the Minister of Finance. In some years Finance's share is even greater.
As a department, Finance Canada is responsible for the following:
- List of Acts and Regulations
- List of Bills (1997 - present)
- Draft Legislation (1996 - present)
- Ministerial Orders
- Cooperative Capital Markets Regulatory System - Update on the Draft Initial Regulations
- Forward Regulatory Plan
- Regulatory Interpretation Policy Statement
- Administrative Burden Baseline
All of the government's Acts and Regulations can be found on the Justice Canada website.
- Government-Wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory Management
- The Red Tape Reduction Action Plan
- The Canada-United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
- Date modified: