Mission - Defence Plan 2018-2023
Department of National Defence/Canadian Armed Forces (DND/CAF) will implement forthwith the Defence Policy to deliver on: well-supported, diverse, resilient people and families; and long-term investments required to undertake missions simultaneously as stated in Strong, Secure, Engaged (SSE), to support the Government of Canada’s vision of Strong at Home, Secure in North America and Engaged in the World.
- Detect, deter and defend against threats to or attacks on Canada;
- Detect, deter and defend against threats to or attacks on North America in partnership with the United States, including through North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD);
- Lead and/or contribute forces to North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and coalition efforts to deter and defeat adversaries, including terrorists, to support global stability;
- Lead and/or contribute to international peace operations and stabilization missions with the United Nations, NATO and other multilateral partners;
- Engage in capacity building to support the security of other nations and their ability to contribute to security abroad;
- Provide assistance to civil authorities and law enforcement, including counter-terrorism, in support of national security and the security of Canadians abroad;
- Provide assistance to civil authorities and non-governmental partners in responding to international and domestic disasters or major emergencies; and
- Conduct search and rescue operations.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: