Defence invests in Canada’s Innovation Community for Defence and Security Solutions
“Through our defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged, we are providing the women and men of our Canadian Armed Forces with the tools and equipment they need to do their jobs. The success of the IDEaS first call for proposals is a testament to the importance of investing in Canadian innovation to support the future of our Canadian Armed Forces. These new collaborations will facilitate the flow of innovative ideas and concepts to help deliver the capabilities needed for a strong and agile military. Congratulations to all contract recipients.”
– Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan
“Our Government is committed to providing the women and men of the Canadian Armed Forces with the technology needed to carry out their important work on behalf of Canadians. These contracts not only support our brave members, they also engage Canada’s best and brightest innovative minds to address key defence and security challenges.”
–Minister of Public Services and Procurement Canada Carla Qualtrough
The IDEaS program allows the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces to access Canadian innovation and ingenuity to help enrich defence capabilities and inform future defence and security decisions.
The IDEaS Competitive Projects’ CFP was administered by Public Services and Procurement Canada on behalf of the DND.
The first CFP with 16 challenges was launched on April 9, 2018 and closed June 7, 2018.
The first contracts were announced by the Department of National Defence in August 2018.
The second CFP with nine challenges was launched on October 18, 2018 and closed on Nov 27, 2018. The first contract awards from this call for proposals will be initiated in February 2019.
Through IDEaS, DND is:
- Creating networks of innovators (academia, industry, individuals, and other partners) to conduct leading-edge research and development in areas critical to future defence and security needs;
- Holding competitions and inviting innovators to present viable solutions to specific defence and security challenges; and
- Implementing new procurement mechanisms that allow DND to develop and test concepts, and to follow through on the most promising ideas.
- News Release- First innovation contracts awarded under the Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) Program
- Backgrounder – Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security Program (IDEaS)
- Backgrounder – Government of Canada calls on innovative thinkers to solve defence and security challenges
- Contract recipients IDEaS website
- Strong, Secure, Engaged
Office of the Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: