Chief of the Defence Staff announces Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements
July 12, 2019 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces
General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, is proud to annouce the latest Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements that will occur in 2019.
General Officers (Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force) and Flag Officers (Royal Canadian Navy) lead the Canadian Armed Forces in defending our country’s values and interests, here at home and abroad. They share the responsibility for the stewardship of the entire institution, and for the profession of arms as a whole.
For 2019, the total number of permanent General Officer and Flag Officer positions required to meet the demands of the Canadian Armed Forces is 116 (105 Regular Force and 11 Reserve Force).
The number of senior staff fluctuates as a result of the needs of the military to meet Government of Canada and institutional objectives, which are constantly changing. Certain positions have been created to help us meet the following commitments found in Canada’s defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged: supporting health and resilience, investments in the Royal Canadian Navy, enhancing cyber capabilities, transforming innovation for defence excellence and security, and continued global defence engagement.
“The role of a General and Flag Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces comes with enormous responsibility. Those selected demonstrate they are not only capable of leading Canada’s armed forces, but also committed to improving them. They do so for the people serving under their command, and for the Canadians we are sworn to defend. For those leaving the Forces, they should do so proudly, as they are a testament to the qualities required to keep Canada’s military strong and effective.”
General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff
Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, will retire from service resulting in the following promotions and appointments:
- Lieutenant-General J.M. Lanthier will be appointed Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, replacing Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk.
- Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre will be appointed Commander Canadian Army, replacing Lieutenant-General J.M. Lanthier.
- Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson will be promoted to the rank of Vice-Admiral and will be appointed Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre.
- Major-General S.J.R. Whelan will be appointed Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson.
- Brigadier-General J.R.M. Gagne will be promoted to Major-General and will be appointed Chief Military Personnel Strategic Programs, replacing Major-General S.J.R. Whelan.
- Colonel F.G. Carpentier will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed as Commander 2 Canadian Division and Joint Task Force (East), in Montreal QC, replacing Brigadier-General M.A.J. Carignan.
Department of National Defence
Biographies of senior officers may be made available upon request by contacting Media Relations.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: