Former Kapyong Barracks 

Backgrounder

August 30, 2019 – Winnipeg, Manitoba – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

Kapyong Barracks

Formerly part of Canadian Forces Base Winnipeg, the Kapyong Barracks property is located between the Tuxedo and River Heights neighbourhoods in southwest Winnipeg. The property is comprised of approximately 65 hectares of land, and was home to the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, until it relocated to Canadian Forces Base Shilo in 2004. After determining that the Canadian Armed Forces no longer had an operational need for the property, the Department of National Defence (DND) received approval to sell the property to the Canada Lands Company CLC Limited in 2007. This approval was the subject of litigation brought by the Treaty One First Nations, with the Court holding that DND had not met its duty to consult.

DND recognizes the importance of the Kapyong Barracks land to the Treaty One First Nations, and has been working closely with them to reach an agreement on the sale of the land since 2012. The Treaty One First Nations are the Long Plain First Nation, Brokenhead Ojibway Nation, Peguis First Nation, Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation, Sagkeeng First Nation, Sandy Bay First Nation, and Swan Lake First Nation.

On August 30, 2019, Canada and the Treaty One First Nations signed a Comprehensive Settlement Agreement, based on the shared understandings outlined in the April 2018 Agreement in Principle. The agreement outlines the terms to sell 68% of the Kapyong Barracks land to the Treaty One First Nations. The remaining 32% of the property will be sold through a separate agreement to the Canada Lands Company CLC Limited for redevelopment.

The Comprehensive Settlement Agreement reflects a renewed positive relationship between Canada and the Treaty One First Nations. It is the result of a successful, multi-year process that brought together all parties to arrive at a satisfactory solution.

                                      

Future of Kapyong Barracks land

As the current owner of the land, DND is demolishing on-site infrastructure at the Kapyong Barracks. This will reduce the dangers associated with the deteriorating site, and will accommodate future development of the land. The first phase of demolition was completed in May 2019, and the remaining demolition work is expected to be completed in fall 2021.

The signing of the Comprehensive Settlement Agreement marks an important milestone in the divestment of the Kapyong Barracks property, and demonstrates DND’s commitment to collaboration and building renewed relationships with Indigenous peoples. DND will continue to update the Winnipeg community about the status of the divestment and related demolition work.

The transfer of the former Kapyong Barracks lands to the Treaty One First Nations is expected to happen once Canada and the First Nations have completed the necessary steps for the creation of reserve lands. While timelines can vary, this is anticipated to take four to five years. The sale of the remaining land to the Canada Lands Company CLC Limited is expected once demolition work is complete. The Treaty One First Nations and Canada Lands Company CLC Limited will be responsible for developing future plans for the land in consultation with the community. 


Search for related information by keyword: MI Military | National Defence | Canada | National security and defence | general public | backgrounders
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: