Defence Minister Anita Anand participates in 13th meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group
June 15, 2023 – Brussels, Belgium – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces
Today, the Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, participated in the 13th Ukraine Defense Contact Group (UDCG) meeting in Brussels, hosted by United States Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III. The meeting brought together representatives from approximately 50 countries, who gathered to discuss the provision of military aid to Ukraine.
Minister Anand reiterated Canada’s unwavering support to Ukraine, and highlighted Canada’s latest tranche of military aid to Ukraine, announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Kyiv, Ukraine, on June 10, 2023:
- Canada will commit $500 million in new funding for military assistance to support Ukraine’s capacity to defend itself from Russian aggression.
- Canada will donate 288 AIM-7 missiles to Ukraine from Canadian Armed Forces inventory. to support Ukraine in its efforts to defend its skies.
- Canada will provide 10,000 rounds of 105mm ammunition from Canadian Armed Forces inventory to sustain artillery systems in Ukraine..
- Operation UNIFIER will be extended to 2026, providing significant capacity for the Canadian Armed Forces to respond to urgent Ukraine training needs.
- Canada will contribute to multinational efforts to train pilots and maintain and support Ukraine’s F-16s, leveraging Canadian expertise in these areas.
- Canada will also be contributing to the Leopard 2 tank maintenance centre in Poland.
The Minister also provided updates on the delivery of Canada’s commitments to Ukraine:
- All 200 Senator armoured vehicles announced by Minister Anand in January have been produced, with 116 vehicles already delivered and 18 more to be delivered next week.
- The following previously announced Canadian donations will also be delivered in the coming days:
- 6,750 assault rifles;
- 1.1 million rounds of 7.62mm ammunition;
- 250,000 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition; and
- 70,000 rounds of sniper ammunition.
Canada will continue to work with allies and partners to provide Ukraine with the military aid that it needs to defend itself.
"Ukrainians are fighting valiantly against Russia’s illegal and unjustifiable invasion. At today’s meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, we reaffirmed our commitment to providing Ukraine with the military equipment that it needs to win its battle for freedom. Canada commends the bravery and strength of Ukrainians, and we will continue to stand with Ukraine as it defends its sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity.”
- The Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence
Prior to being donated, the AIM-7 missiles will undergo modifications to be used in a ground-to-air capacity.
The Ukraine Defense Contact Group (UDCG) was created by the United States Secretary of Defense in April 2022 to provide a strategic mechanism to identify critical equipment needs and gaps for Ukraine, allow allies and partners to synchronize donations, consult, and coordinate military assistance to Ukraine, and build the capabilities of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Convening monthly at the ministerial level, the UDCG now brings together over 50 countries.
Since the beginning of 2022, Canada has committed over $8 billion in aid to Ukraine, including over $1.5 billion in military assistance. This includes eight Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks and one armoured recovery vehicle, a National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System (NASAMS) with associated munitions, 39 armoured combat support vehicles, anti-tank weapons, small arms, M777 howitzers and associated ammunition, high-resolution drone cameras, winter clothing, and more.
More than 300 CAF members are now deployed under Op UNIFIER in various roles such as the provision and coordination of training, national command support, and the facilitation and delivery of military donations to Ukraine in coordination with our allies and partners. Op UNIFIER is ongoing in, Latvia, Poland and the United Kingdom.
Press Secretary and Senior Communications Advisor
Office of the Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence
- Date modified: