Canadian Cadet General Order (CANCDTGEN)
Wearing of Helmets While Sailing for Sea Cadets – Spring 2017
Ref: CANCDTGEN 003/14 Update on Water Safety Orders
- Research is currently underway to determine the nature of head injuries sustained by cadets while sailing and recommendations on how to prevent them. Once complete, a Concussion Prevention/Management Strategy/Policy will be released.
- To assist in the mitigation of head injuries and until the final Concussion Prevention / Management Strategy / Policy is promulgated, the following direction will be implemented upon receipt:
- Cadets who are learning to sail or who have not obtained Sail Canada CANSail Level 1 shall wear a helmet.
- Cadets who wore a helmet at the end of the sailing season in 2016 shall continue to wear a helmet for sailing season 2017 and beyond, regardless of Sail Canada CANSail Level.
- Cadets who have obtained Sail Canada CANSail Level 1 and did not wear a helmet at the end of sailing season 2016 are not required to wear a helmet for sailing season 2017.
- The Cadet Program is designed to provide fun and challenging activities for our youth to engage in. The safety of all participants is the most paramount driver in all our undertakings and where we can mitigate the risks we will take appropriate action.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: