Wearing of Uniform – Post Retirement
Refs: A. QR & O 17.06, Wearing of the Uniform–Restriction
B. A-DH-265-000/AG-001, CF Dress Instructions
C. Ministerial Organization Order (MOO) 2015011
D. Canadian Forces Organization Order (CFOO) 9525
- The National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group (Natl CJCR Sp Gp) receives multiple requests from former CAF members wishing to wear the CAF uniform to various events and/or for various reasons.
- The intent of this CANCDTGEN is to complement references A and B and provide direction and clarification on the wearing of the CAF uniform by former CAF members who have served with the Canadian Cadet Organizations.
- The wearing of a uniform by former CAF members shall be IAW reference A which stipulates that an officer commanding a Command may authorize the post-retirement wearing of uniforms. Furthermore, it states that such permission may be granted only for military entertainment or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.
- As per references C and D, the Comd Natl CJCR Sp Gp has been designated as an officer who has and may exercise the powers and jurisdiction of an officer commanding a Command. Accordingly, all requests of this nature are to be submitted to the Comd Natl CJCR Sp Gp through the appropriate Regional Cadet Support Unit or Natl CJCR Sp Gp HQ Commanding Officer.
- The wearing of the CAF uniform, including mess dress, by former CAF members will be limited to exceptional circumstances only, such as those which mark a special event or milestone achievement. A list of exceptional circumstances is impractical to produce but possible examples might be attendance at an official function where the retired member is to receive a commendation or other significant award or recognition related to military service from the Governor General, Lieutenant Governor or similar dignitary. Events such as Remembrance Day, mess dinners, League Annual General Meetings or attendance and participation at a cadet Annual Ceremonial Review should not be considered exceptional circumstances as they are annual recurring events, and requests to wear uniforms to events such as these will not ordinarily be approved.
- Questions or concerns regarding this policy may be addressed to the Natl CJCR Sp Gp, Formation CWO.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: