Sports and recreation
From National Defence
Physical fitness is an essential part of life in the military. Physically fit members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) are stronger, have more energy, are self-confident, have fewer injuries, and are better able to handle physical and mental stress. They are also physically ready to be deployed on short notice.
You will be given time to train during working hours when circumstances permit. Most military facilities have a gym on site.
Learn more about the minimum fitness standards for joining the CAF.
Getting involved in sports is a fun way to stay fit while making new friends. Every base, unit and wing has a variety of both team and individual sports for athletes of all kinds. If you qualify at the competitive level, you may have the opportunity to participate in regional, national and international military sporting competitions. Team and individual sports range from recreational to highly competitive Olympic levels.
To help you stay fit and adopt a healthy lifestyle, the CAF will provide you with:
- physical fitness and sports facilities
- fitness programs and qualified trainers
- participation in sports events and competitions
- physiotherapists and sports medicine specialists
- family sports and leisure activities that promote wellness
- smoking cessation and addictions-free living programs
- nutrition and weight-management programs
- stress management programs
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: