Military medals for former Canadian Forces members

Application form for former members of the Canadian Forces (CF) to get new or replacement medals from the Department of National Defence, Directorate of Honours and Recognition (DH&R).

On this page

Who can apply

This form is only for former CF members. You can use it if you are:

If you are a serving CF member, do not use this form. Go through your unit Chain of Command to apply on your behalf, following procedures in CANFORGEN 106/00.

If you are a civilian employee or other non-military personnel, and you believe you might be eligible for a medal, do not use this form. Apply through your employing organization’s honours and awards representative.

What medals you can apply for

You can use this form for both initial issue and replacement of medals.

If you have never been awarded the medal, it is initial issue. If you have previously been awarded the medal and lost the old one, it is a replacement.

You can use this form for:

A service medal recognizes your service in a campaign, operation or war. An individual honour recognizes a specific action that earned you the award.

You can find information on eligibility, policies and directives under each order, decoration or medal in the Medals Chart.

How to apply

  1. Complete the form
  2. Print the completed form
  3. Sign it
  4. Send the form by mail only:

Directorate of Honours and Recognition
National Defence Headquarters
101 Colonel By Dr
Ottawa ON  K1A 0K2

Include all documentation to prove your service. This will speed up your application. We process applications on a first-come first-serve basis.

Contact us if you:

By phone: 1-877-741-8332 (toll free Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time)

By email:


Initial issue of medals

There are no fees for initial issue of medals.

Replacement medals

Do not send payment with your application for a replacement medal. DH&R will contact you at a later date with the exact amount to submit. You might need a money order or bank draft made out to the Receiver General for Canada. Personal cheques are not accepted.


Page details

Date modified: