The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery
The official lineage of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery.
A field gun Or on a mount Vert.
By 1867, the 9-pounder smooth bore muzzle loader was the principal gun of Canadian artillery field batteries, the first of which were formed in 1855. This gun was also the initial equipment of "A" and "B" Batteries when they became the first full-time (regular) Militia units in 1871. The similarity to the Royal Artillery badge emphasizes the close traditional ties between the two regiments. "UBIQUE" and "QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT" are the regimental mottoes.
- UBIQUE (Everywhere) and
- QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT (Whither right and glory lead)
Horse Artillery Camp Flag
Badge ensigned by The Royal Arms of Canada
Royal Artillery Slow March
Quick March (dismounted parades)
Gallop Past (Horse Artillery only)
Royal Regiment of Artillery
The motto "UBIQUE" was granted as an honorary distinction to 'take the place of all past and future battle honours and distinctions gained in the field'.Footnote 1
The regiment originated on 10 August 1883, when the 'Regiment of Canadian Artillery' of the Permanent Active Militia was authorized to be formed.Footnote 2 It was redesignated 'The Royal Canadian Artillery' on 24 May 1893.Footnote 3 On 1 December 1898 the regiment was reorganized as two types of artillery designated the 'Royal Canadian Artillery (Field Division) and the 'Royal Canadian Artillery (Garrison Division)'.Footnote 4 These divisions were redesignated the 'Royal Canadian Field Artillery' and the 'Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery' on 1 June 1901.Footnote 5 On 1 September 1905 the Royal Canadian Field Artillery was redesignated the 'Royal Canadian Horse Artillery' (see the 1st Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery chart for further information).Footnote 6 The previously independent Non Permanent Active Militia field and garrison artillery units were incorporated in the regiment on 28 December 1895 and provided with the suffix 'Canadian Artillery'.Footnote 7 The non permanent components of the regiment were granted the suffix 'The Royal Canadian Artillery' on 3 June 1935.Footnote 8 The regiment was redesignated: the 'Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery' on 29 October 1956;Footnote 10 and 'The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery' on 27 May 1997.Footnote 12
The regiment is also a 'branch' within the Canadian Forces personnel structure. The 'Artillery Branch' was officially authorized on 27 August 1971.Footnote 14 The units of the former corps - one of the meanings in the duality of the word "corps" as used in the Canadian Army - continued to be designated Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, since regimental designations, including this unique one, were maintained in the Canadian Forces.
The North West Rebellion
'A' and 'B' Batteries of the Regiment of Canadian Artillery were placed on active service on 10 April 1885.Footnote 16 The batteries provided field artillery support to Middleton's Column and the Battleford Column of the North West Field Force.Footnote 17 The batteries were removed from active service on 24 July 1885.Footnote 18
For additional information on the operational history of the branch consult the relevant regimental or independent battery charts.
A regiment or independent battery of artillery on a ceremonial parade with its guns, "is equivalent to a battalion with its Colours, and is to be saluted accordingly."Footnote 19
- Date modified: