The Canadian Guards
The official lineage of The Canadian Guards infantry regiment.
On a ten-pointed star Argent a torteau charged with three maple leaves conjoined on one stem Or encircled by a motto annulus Or inscribed A MARI USQUE AD MARE in letters Sable and ensigned by the Royal Crown proper.
The ten points of the star symbolize the ten provinces of Canada. The maple leaves are taken from the Royal Arms of Canada, but with their colour changed from red to gold. The motto, which means "From sea to sea", is the motto of Canada, from Psalm 72. The Royal Crown represents service to the Sovereign and to Canada.
A MARI USQUE AD MARE (From sea to sea).
"The Standard of St. George"
"From Sea to Sea"
Each company of the regiment have their own Company Badge which is borne in rotation in the centre of the battalion Regimental Colours.
This Reserve Force regiment originated on 4 May 1951 and incorporates the following regiment and battalions.
'The Canadian Guards' originated in Petawawa, Ontario on 16 October 1953, when it was authorized to be formed from two newly authorized battalions and the '1st Canadian Infantry Battalion' and '2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion' (see below).Footnote 1 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 6 July 1970.Footnote 2
Upon formation of The Canadian Guards on 16 October 1953, the two newly authorized battalions were designated the '1st Battalion' and '2nd Battalion'. All four battalions were on the Regular Force Order of Battle. (CAO 76-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 358/53).
The 3rd and 4th Battalions were disbanded on 31 March 1957 (CAO 78-2, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 541/57).
The 1st Battalion was disbanded on 1 October 1968 (CFOO 49/68)
On 6 July 1970, the 2nd Battalion was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle (Message, CANFORCEHED DO 32, 011845Z APR 70, Document Collection 73/1223, Series 2, File 1050, Box 55).
The 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion originated in Valcartier, Quebec on 4 May 1951, when the '1st Canadian Infantry Battalion' was authorized to be formed in the Active Force.Footnote 3 On 16 October 1953, it was redesignated the '3rd Battalion, The Canadian Guards', as above.
The 2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion originated in Valcartier, Quebec on 10 April 1952, when the '2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion' was authorized to be formed in the Active Force.Footnote 4 On 16 October 1953, it was redesignated the '4th Battalion, The Canadian Guards', as above.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: